* [9fans] What does your fileserver consist of?
@ 2016-10-12  0:33 James A. Robinson
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: James A. Robinson @ 2016-10-12  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Folks,

One of the things I'm thinking about is setting up a full Plan 9
cluster, meaning one of the components would be a stand-alone
fileserver hooked up to a decent amount of storage.

I was wondering what experience people have had with slower or faster
machines in this role?

I was wondering whether or not it'd be feasible to hook up something
like http://tinyurl.com/jgov5gc (Amazon.com) to something small like a
Raspberry Pi 3, or if the I/O would be too much for that kind of
computer to handle.

Does anyone here run a fileserver on a small computer like a
raspberry pi 3, or perhaps something like an Intel nuc?

I wouldn't be supporting multiple users, just myself moving between
a couple of devices.

Jim

* Re: [9fans] What does your fileserver consist of?
@ 2016-10-12  5:27 ` Tyga
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Tyga @ 2016-10-12  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi Jim,

I think you should be fine.  I'm using five rescued HP ePCs
<http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c00340466&sp4ts.oid=76322>
all
with PIII @800MHz, 128MB RAM and a range of HDs, including one one with
80GB.  All connected via a HP ProCurve 1G switch.  I have one RPi2
connected to the cluster and it, too, works fine with them.  Still having
struggles with auth, etc.

For what it's worth, I have an ePC booting off a compact flash card (via an
IDE adaptor) - that one is rather slow.  I haven't benchmarked this cluster
against anything, but my impression is that it's Ok, but a single
contemporary PC seems faster (SSD, SATA3, etc)

Well that's one dodgy data point for you!

@ 2016-10-12  9:20   ` Sergey Zhilkin
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2016-10-12  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi !

Rip is good for running terminal. It do not have modern (and old :) )
interfaces to storage. I'm use old big tower PC, with several hard drives.
I think Eric or Brantkey can tell more, as he still run Kfs. (Cwfs)

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

* Re: [9fans] What does your fileserver consist of?
@ 2016-10-12  9:22     ` Sergey Zhilkin
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2016-10-12  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Sorry, for misspelling(iOS trying to "help" me)  Rpi and Brantley I meant.

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

* Re: [9fans] What does your fileserver consist of?
@ 2016-10-12  9:48 ` Richard Miller
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Richard Miller @ 2016-10-12  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I was wondering whether or not it'd be feasible to hook up something
> like http://tinyurl.com/jgov5gc (Amazon.com) to something small like a
> Raspberry Pi 3, or if the I/O would be too much for that kind of
> computer to handle.

Probably feasible but it is likely to be slow, because Plan 9's usb
implementation is not particularly efficient, and the pi's usb host
adapter hardware is especially bad.  Someone with a usb disk might
be able to quote actual bandwidth numbers.

I have a Seagate 1TB usb drive (SSD), which does not work at all with
Plan 9.  Haven't looked into it deeply, but it appears usb/disk isn't
parsing the usb interface descriptors correctly.

  ep7.0 storage csp 0x500608 csp 0x620608 vid 0x0bc2 did 0x231a Seagate Expansion dwcotg

There are two interfaces, and instead of selecting the correct one
(0x500608) usb/disk seems to be mixing up the endpoints from both
interfaces together:
	Seagate Expansion NA82688P
	conf: cval 1 attrib 80 500 mA
		iface csp storage.6.98
		  alt 0 attr 2 ival 0
		  alt 1 attr 2 ival 0
		  ep id 1 addr 1 dir inout type bulk itype 0 maxpkt 512 ntds 1
		  ep id 2 addr 130 dir inout type bulk itype 0 maxpkt 512 ntds 1
		  ep id 1 addr 1 dir inout type bulk itype 0 maxpkt 512 ntds 1
		  ep id 2 addr 130 dir inout type bulk itype 0 maxpkt 512 ntds 1
		  ep id 3 addr 131 dir in type bulk itype 0 maxpkt 512 ntds 1
		  ep id 4 addr 4 dir out type bulk itype 0 maxpkt 512 ntds 1
		dev desc 24[4]:  04 24 01 00
		dev desc 24[4]:  04 24 02 00
		dev desc 24[4]:  04 24 03 00
		dev desc 24[4]:  04 24 04 00

My file server is built from an intel atom mini-itx board with a SATA
disk.  Sequential read speed is over 100 MB/sec, more than enough to
saturate my network.  By comparison, I get less than 10 MB/sec reading
from a usb flash drive on the same machine.

* Re: [9fans] What does your fileserver consist of?
@ 2016-10-12 14:46 ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2016-10-12 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi James,

My fileserver is an older Intel Atom D525. I have a pair of mirrored
SSDs installed for fossil and my venti store is served by plan9ports
running on a CentOS machine with ample storage. I also have a small
SATADOM installed for my 9fat partition, which makes it easy to
recover if^H^Hwhen the write cache dies.

This setup works well - I've been running it with zero problems for a
few years now. If you're curious, I kept some notes on how to do this
here: http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/stallion/venti/
(start with the README).

That said, an rpi might be I/O bound if you have more than a couple of
CPU severs and terminals on your network. A NUC would certainly have
more than enough power (I keep a NUC in my office for working with
Altium).

Cheers,

Steve

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 7:33 PM, James A. Robinson
<jim.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> One of the things I'm thinking about is setting up a full Plan 9
> cluster, meaning one of the components would be a stand-alone
> fileserver hooked up to a decent amount of storage.
>
> I was wondering what experience people have had with slower or faster
> machines in this role?
>
> I was wondering whether or not it'd be feasible to hook up something
> like http://tinyurl.com/jgov5gc (Amazon.com) to something small like a
> Raspberry Pi 3, or if the I/O would be too much for that kind of
> computer to handle.
>
> Does anyone here run a fileserver on a small computer like a
> raspberry pi 3, or perhaps something like an Intel nuc?
>
> I wouldn't be supporting multiple users, just myself moving between
> a couple of devices.
>
> Jim

* Re: [9fans] What does your fileserver consist of?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-10-12 15:31 ` California Electric
From: California Electric @ 2016-10-12 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Jim,

There are other low cost alternatives than an rpi. Higher kilowatt-hour cost for sure than an rpi, but cheap...

My current 32bit bell labs distro file server is a Lenovo (IBM) m58p small form factor. It has a 3.33 ghz intel core2 duo cpu, upgraded from it's stock 3.0ghz core2 duo. I have also tested it with a 3.0ghz core2 quad cpu, and that works. With AHCI set to native everything works, including multiple cores and built in gigabit ethernet. I boot off a USB stick, and it runs a 512GB fossil from SSD. I bought mine for 60 $US on eBay. I just checked and they are as low as half that now. Tilted on its side it doesn't take up much shelf space at all.

The fossil is backed by a very large venti running under plan9port on a mac that does other things, too.

My auth server is an rpi though, the original, and it sits on top and gets its power from one of the USB ports on the fs, so it's all pretty compact and a single switch.

Greg

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2016-10-12 18:13   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2016-10-12 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

mine is a dual atom mini itx box, with two mirrored disks - though i have an ssd to add when i get a chance.

the server is a combined auth/cpu/venti/fossil/mail/domain/web server.

it consumes 26watts which could be better but is not bad.

a pi with a few sata3 interfaces would be interesting.

-Steve

> On 12 Oct 2016, at 16:31, California Electric <californiaelectric@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Jim,
>
> There are other low cost alternatives than an rpi. Higher kilowatt-hour cost for sure than an rpi, but cheap...
>
> My current 32bit bell labs distro file server is a Lenovo (IBM) m58p small form factor. It has a 3.33 ghz intel core2 duo cpu, upgraded from it's stock 3.0ghz core2 duo. I have also tested it with a 3.0ghz core2 quad cpu, and that works. With AHCI set to native everything works, including multiple cores and built in gigabit ethernet. I boot off a USB stick, and it runs a 512GB fossil from SSD. I bought mine for 60 $US on eBay. I just checked and they are as low as half that now. Tilted on its side it doesn't take up much shelf space at all.
>
> The fossil is backed by a very large venti running under plan9port on a mac that does other things, too.
>
> My auth server is an rpi though, the original, and it sits on top and gets its power from one of the USB ports on the fs, so it's all pretty compact and a single switch.
>
> Greg
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>> On Oct 11, 2016, at 5:33 PM, James A. Robinson <jim.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Folks,
>>
>> One of the things I'm thinking about is setting up a full Plan 9
>> cluster, meaning one of the components would be a stand-alone
>> fileserver hooked up to a decent amount of storage.
>>
>> I was wondering what experience people have had with slower or faster
>> machines in this role?
>>
>> I was wondering whether or not it'd be feasible to hook up something
>> like http://tinyurl.com/jgov5gc (Amazon.com) to something small like a
>> Raspberry Pi 3, or if the I/O would be too much for that kind of
>> computer to handle.
>>
>> Does anyone here run a fileserver on a small computer like a
>> raspberry pi 3, or perhaps something like an Intel nuc?
>>
>> I wouldn't be supporting multiple users, just myself moving between
>> a couple of devices.
>>
>> Jim

* Re: [9fans] What does your fileserver consist of?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-10-12 18:26 ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2016-10-12 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

SouthSuite’s production stack, plus a little.

The top box, “wrens”, is a diskless file server, work done by the Great Quanstro. It’s Ken’s file server that uses ATA-over-Ethernet for its storage. The bottom of the picture are two SRX storage shelves, “300” and “200”, that are mirrors of each other. The machine “dmr” is our auth server, and “research” is our CPU server. Eric’s 9atom setup is mixed in there as well.

They will pry IL out of my cold, dead fingers.

Obviously this was all constructed, for the most part, out of old Coraid SRX junk that was laying around. Dmr was the first equipment purchased for SouthSuite proper.

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 8:33 PM, James A. Robinson <jim.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Folks,
>
> One of the things I'm thinking about is setting up a full Plan 9
> cluster, meaning one of the components would be a stand-alone
> fileserver hooked up to a decent amount of storage.
>
> I was wondering what experience people have had with slower or faster
> machines in this role?
>
> I was wondering whether or not it'd be feasible to hook up something
> like http://tinyurl.com/jgov5gc (Amazon.com) to something small like a
> Raspberry Pi 3, or if the I/O would be too much for that kind of
> computer to handle.
>
> Does anyone here run a fileserver on a small computer like a
> raspberry pi 3, or perhaps something like an Intel nuc?
>
> I wouldn't be supporting multiple users, just myself moving between
> a couple of devices.
>
> Jim

[-- Attachment #2.2: IMG_5484.JPG --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 1827858 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] What does your fileserver consist of?
@ 2016-10-12 22:38   ` James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2016-10-12 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Ha, looks familiar:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EtherDrive
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EtherDrive#/media/File:EtherDriveCluster.JPG

Very neat, thank you for the description.   But it's probably a bit
more than I can fit into my closet. :-P

@ 2016-10-12 22:39     ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2016-10-12 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

:)

You would be a popular with your significant other as I was with my wife when I had a PDP-11 in the living room.

@ 2016-10-12 23:19       ` Jules Merit
From: Jules Merit @ 2016-10-12 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

What happens when you loose the auth server?

@ 2016-10-13 15:54       ` James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2016-10-13 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thank you to everyone for their answer.

It sounds like the safest route is for me to build a small computer to
handle the role of fileserver.

The last time I built a cluster I know I could PXE boot the terminals, but
as I recall I set up the auth and fileservers using a CD.

Is it possible and straightforward to use PXE boot to set up the fileserver
installation as well?  E.g., PXE boot a server and then run the installation
and configuration for a fileserver over the network?

@ 2016-10-22 18:21         ` James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2016-10-22 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

For you folks with an Intel Atom D525 based motherboard
in your fileserver, do you run with a fanless? Use heatsink?
Use a fan? Use liquid cooling? Use a quantum heat sink?

@ 2016-10-22 21:06           ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2016-10-22 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Stock heatsink with chassis cooling. I've had no issues since I've
started using them back in 2012:
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/stallion/venti/fs.jpg

On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 1:21 PM, James A. Robinson

@ 2016-10-22 21:40             ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2016-10-22 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hi,

mine is the older model which is not passively cooled, a fan is needed
(not to hand so i have no part numbers).

it has a 40mm cpu fan but that is all. the fan died (got very noisy) and i
replaced it but that was the only unreliable part of the server.

-steve

@ 2016-11-06 21:58               ` Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan
From: Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan @ 2016-11-06 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Assuming cost is not an issue, wouldn't intel Avoton based board be good
for this?

Regards
dharani

@ 2016-11-10  5:21                 ` James A. Robinson
From: James A. Robinson @ 2016-11-10  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Ah, I'm not familiar with those. I ended up buying a fairly old board, but
one I knew would work (for everything) with the plan 9 kernels. I got a
Supermicro X7SPA-H-D525, and while it isn't amazingly zippy (11 sec to
build /sys/src/9/pc) it seems to be fast enough to be a file server.

Jim

@ 2016-11-10  5:41                   ` Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan
From: Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan @ 2016-11-10  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs