* [9fans] Patterns in Network Architecture
@ 2008-02-14 22:00 Gary Wright
From: Gary Wright @ 2008-02-14 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I just started reading this new book by John Day and wanted to point
it out to 9fans.

The book attempts to look back at 35 years of network protocols and
see what we've learned (or not learned).  I think the Plan 9
community will find it pretty interesting with chapters and sections
such as:

patterns in protocols
naming and addressing
divining layers
the network IPC model
making addresses topological
   -- the role of hierarchy in addressing
   -- hierarchical topology of address spaces
   -- melding address spaces and the hierarchy of layers

Lots of interesting ideas to chew on and relate back to Plan 9's
concept of private namespaces and the composition of namespaces via
bind/mount.

Gary Wright

only message in thread, other threads:[~2008-02-14 22:00 UTC | newest]