* Re: [9fans] Acme Mail editable from address
@ 2021-01-28 22:51 Romano
From: Romano @ 2021-01-28 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Quoth pouya+lists.9fans@nohup.io:
>> Upas/marshal already supports that by setting the upasname env
>> variable, or did you mean to have it as a flag or taken from the
>> headers in the input?
>
> I was thinking that
>
>         echo From: foo; message | upas/marshal
>
> should be roughly equivalent to:
>
>         upasname=foo
>         echo message | upas/marshal
>
> but it may be better to just use a pipefrom.

Take what I say with a big a grain of salt--I set it up months ago and
haven't considered it again after Ori's re-work in 9front on
mail-related things.  I am not using my own smtp server, but call out
to different ones based on the address I'm using.

For my setup, I had to set both the env var and add the 'From:' line,
IIRC.  I have wrapper scripts that I can click on to send an e-mail
while in Acme, specifying which account I want to send from.  It's
probably more convoluted than it needs to be, but I just wanted to get
mail working on 9front.  So in my wrapper script I setup upasname env
var and also start off the message with a 'From:' line:
upasname=myacct@example.com
echo From: Myname '<'^$upasname^'>' >/tmp/from.$upasname
mailfrom $upasname $*

The last call to mailfrom calls /bin/mailfrom, which contains this:
#!/bin/rc
upasname=$1
shift
if (~ $winid '')
        err=`{echo -n Cannot find window id}
if (! test -d /mnt/acme/^$winid)
        err=`{echo -n usage: Must be run in Acme}
if (~ $upasname '')
                err=`{echo -n usage: Must set upasname}
if (! ~ $err '') {
        echo $err
        status=$err
        exit
}
if (! test -f /tmp/from.$upasname)
        echo From: $upasname >/tmp/from.$upasname
cat /tmp/from.$upasname /mnt/acme/$winid/body | upas/marshal -8 $*
rm /tmp/from.$upasname

/mail/lib/fromfiles contains one line, which refers to
/mail/lib/from.me:
from.me

/mail/lib/from.me has lines with tab-separated values between the
e-mail from address I use ($upasname) and the mail account
corresponding to it:
myacct+bingo@example.com  myaccount@smtp1.example.com
myacct@example.com      myotheraccount@smtp2.example.com

In /mail/lib/remotemail, I have cases for the different smtp servers:
#!/bin/rc
shift
sender=$1
shift
addr=$1
shift
fd=`{/bin/upas/aliasmail -f $sender}
switch($fd){
case smtp1.example.com
        addr=(-u user1 tcp!^$fd^!ssmtp)
case smtp2.example.com
        addr=(-u user2 tcp!^$fd^!ssmtp)
case *.*
        ;
case *
        fd=your.domain
}
exec /bin/upas/smtp -a -t -h $fd $addr $sender $*

Hopefully what I wrote above is more helpful than not.

* Re: [9fans] Acme Mail editable from address
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-01-30 15:06   ` pdt
From: pdt @ 2021-01-30 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[9fans@hamnavoe.com]
> if (~ $dests *9fans@9fans.net*) {
>         sed '1,/^$/s/^(From: .*)<miller@hamnavoe.com>/\1<9fans@hamnavoe.com>/' | upas/send $options $dests
>         exit
> }

Testing this.  Please ignore!

* Re: [9fans] Acme Mail editable from address
@ 2021-01-30 15:01   ` pdt
From: pdt @ 2021-01-30 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[9fans@hamnavoe.com]
> if (~ $dests *9fans@9fans.net*) {
>         sed '1,/^$/s/^(From: .*)<miller@hamnavoe.com>/\1<9fans@hamnavoe.com>/' | upas/send $options $dests
>         exit
> }

Testing this.  Please ignore!

* Re: [9fans] Acme Mail editable from address
@ 2021-01-29 14:36   ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2021-01-29 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I adjusted my pipefrom and added a default headers file, so lets see
if this mail arrives with the correct sender address.

sirjofri

* Re: [9fans] Acme Mail editable from address
@ 2021-01-29 10:17       ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2021-01-29 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Yes -- acme Mail does set its own From lines,

That's overridden by the From: in /mail/box/$user/headers if there is one.

* Re: [9fans] Acme Mail editable from address
@ 2021-01-28 23:21     ` ori
From: ori @ 2021-01-28 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth pouya+lists.9fans@nohup.io:
> I should take a closer look but I seem to recall some special handling
> of From: lines in acme Mail.

Yes -- acme Mail does set its own From lines,
among other things that annoyed me.

(That's why I rewrote it as Nail: less cleverness,
less code, and thread sorting of messages:
http://shithub.us/git/ori/Nail/HEAD/info.html)

* Re: [9fans] Acme Mail editable from address
@ 2021-01-28 22:26     ` ori
From: ori @ 2021-01-28 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth pouya+lists.9fans@nohup.io:
> Upas/marshal already supports that by setting the upasname env
> variable, or did you mean to have it as a flag or taken from the
> headers in the input?

I was thinking that

        echo From: foo; message | upas/marshal

should be roughly equivalent to:

        upasname=foo
        echo message | upas/marshal

but it may be better to just use a pipefrom.

* Re: [9fans] Acme Mail editable from address
@ 2021-01-28 19:07   ` pouya+lists.9fans
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: pouya+lists.9fans @ 2021-01-28 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thank you all for your feedback.

I have combined my answers to a few responses below.

[9fans@hamnavoe.com]
> That's what /mail/box/$user/pipefrom is for. (Not specific to acme.)

Thank you.  This seems much more elegant than my hack as a general
solution.

[ori@eigenstate.org]

[sirjofri+ml-9fans@sirjofri.de]

@ 2021-01-28 11:50         ` alex
From: alex @ 2021-01-28 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Please double-check this. When I add a From: in acme Mail it's always
> converted to a destination address.

Perhaps that's a quirk of acme Mail?  Works for me with Nail and
marshal(1).

* Re: [9fans] Acme Mail editable from address
@ 2021-01-28 11:06       ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2021-01-28 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

28.01.2021 11:09:20 Alex Musolino <alex@musolino.id.au>:

>> I'd love this functionality in marshal. Would it then also work in
Nail?

@ 2021-01-28 10:09     ` Alex Musolino
From: Alex Musolino @ 2021-01-28 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'd love this functionality in marshal. Would it then also work in Nail?
> (No crazy filtering in Nail?)
>
> Would a potential marshal patch be applied to 9front? I think it's a nice
> feature and prevents setting $upasname before starting [MN]ail. Also I
> don't think it would change existing behavior too much.

Seems it's already in 9front.  I can just write my own custom From:
header with Nail or marshal(1).  I've never had much reason to change
it so I just put the From: header you see in this message in
/mail/box/alex/headers.

* Re: [9fans] Acme Mail editable from address
@ 2021-01-28 10:00 ` Richard Miller
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Richard Miller @ 2021-01-28 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I was looking for a way to send emails from different addresses with
> Acme Mail

That's what /mail/box/$user/pipefrom is for. (Not specific to acme.)

For example, my pipefrom includes this:

if (~ $dests *9fans@9fans.net*) {
        sed '1,/^$/s/^(From: .*)<miller@hamnavoe.com>/\1<9fans@hamnavoe.com>/' | upas/send $options $dests
        exit
}

If I want to do a one-off send from an alias, I edit /mail/box/$user/headers temporarily
to add a From: line.

* Re: [9fans] Acme Mail editable from address
@ 2021-01-28  8:34   ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2021-01-28  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hey ori,