From: Steve Foster <steve-jf@outlook.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] How to access CD drive?
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 11:04:57 +0000	[thread overview]

A bit of an update.
Well I decided not to abandon the idea after all and give it another go.
Along with the info in your replies (thanks again) and some other stuff I found on the net I now have:
Drawterm working on the host and my laptop.
Networking is now working and I can access the internet using abaco.
I can work completely in plan 9 if I want to and move files around between it and the host using drawterm.
I'm still trying to figure out how to get cifs working so am still working on that.
I have figured out how to access the CD drive. However, guestadditions won't install, but I didn't think they would, just wanted to make sure.
The whole 'everything is a file' thing is starting to become a little more clear now.
What has surprised me is how much I like working in plan 9, particularly acme. I've even grown to like the way it looks including the colours. It doesn't get in the way. I'm fortunate that most of what I do is text based so I only need to dive into Windows or Linux for graphics stuff etc.
Does anyone work exclusively in plan 9 or is that not feasible so you think?
Thanks for your help again.