* Re: [9fans] inferno
@ 2000-09-19  8:41 miller
From: miller @ 2000-09-19  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

mothra manages to display http://www.slashdot.org (by not trying too hard).

Unfortunately only available to 2nd edition licensees at present.

-- Richard

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1825 bytes --]

From: andrey mirtchovski <aam396@mail.usask.ca>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] inferno
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 21:22:39 -0600 (CST)

wow, charon really does paint some nice images on my stats' load section
:)

unfortunately it does not want to render slashdot at all....

bummer, I guess I have to find another way of displaying this site, or
simply go to a different 'news for nerds' locale

* Re: [9fans] inferno
@ 2000-09-19 17:00   ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2000-09-19 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

| Making local changes like this will upset install/inst [see inst(1)]
| when it comes to install an update to the 'inferno' package. ...
| To get around this, make a copy of layout.b before you modify it.

Or, bind -c $home/src/charon on top of the official charon source,
so your edits get written somewhere else.

* Re: [9fans] inferno
@ 2000-09-19 13:26 ` Chris Locke
From: Chris Locke @ 2000-09-19 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Simple fix to Charon that gets slashdot going
and also fixes some other layout probs...

in the file:
	/appl/charon/layout.b
function:
	relayout(...)
change the line:
			ff.y = 10000;
to read:
			ff.y = 16r6fffffff;

then run 'mk install'
or just limbo layout.b and move the .dis file to /dis/charon
under the Inferno root.

NOTE:
Making local changes like this will upset install/inst [see inst(1)]
when it comes to install an update to the 'inferno' package.
It will spot that the file has been locally modified and not overwrite
it with the latest version.
To get around this, make a copy of layout.b before you modify it.
When we make our next update available (in a few weeks time)
copy the old layout.b back into place so as the update installation
works properly.

Normally this fix would be done via Vita Nuova issuing 'updates',
so the crud about keeping a copy wouldn't be necessary,
but I felt that some of you would want this fix ASAP.

Cheers,

Chris.

* Re: [9fans] inferno
@ 2000-09-19 13:16 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2000-09-19 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

umm..

slashdot automagically works this morning... (offending HTML was in the
monday section) but cookies do not, which is a permissions problem :)

thanx for the help though!

* Re: [9fans] inferno
@ 2000-09-19  9:59 rog
From: rog @ 2000-09-19  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> wow, charon really does paint some nice images on my stats' load section
> :)
>
> unfortunately it does not want to render slashdot at all....
>
> bummer, I guess I have to find another way of displaying this site, or
> simply go to a different 'news for nerds' locale

this is news to me, as i've been rendering slashdot under charon for a
good few months now.

but now you point it out, the rendering code does in fact break when
rendering slashdot with its default settings.  (it didn't before,
honest! (but that's the web for you)) it appears that the reason that
we hadn't noticed the problem is that all of us have customised the
slashdot display settings in some way or other.

i just worked out a fix, which is to use some other web browser to
customise your display settings (i use "Light" because i care more
about fast download than pretty graphics), and then go straight to
http://slashdot.com/users.pl and log in. *before* charon displays the
new page (which also breaks it :-]), type "slashdot.com" in the URL
entry field.

this should then display without breaking. if you then quit charon, the
cookies will be saved, and from then on you ought to be able to read
slashdot without problems. i just tried it and it seems to work.

that's fine for *reading* slashdot, but currently posting doesn't work,
which is annoying. we plan to fix this, and other charon problems.
(but, sadly, this is the web - a bug-free browser is an unattainable
ideal)

oh, and if you're really keen, you have the source, and a debugger!
you're free to fix it yourself!

  cheers,
    rog.

* Re: [9fans] inferno
@ 2000-09-19  9:13 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-09-19  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the best thing for charon problems is to send the details to support@vitanuova.com
(obviously i'll simply forward this one myself).
we typically collect a batch of them and (try to) fix a group at once.

for Plan 9/Inferno problems generally, send mail to support@vitanuova.com
and/or use comp.os.inferno and comp.lang.limbo, which we read regularly
at VN.   there are no guarantees of timely fixes, but on the other hand, we prefer
things to work.  some things in the browser won't be fixed until the implementation of
style sheets and surrounding chrome is complete.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1814 bytes --]

From: andrey mirtchovski <aam396@mail.usask.ca>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 21:22:39 -0600 (CST)

wow, charon really does paint some nice images on my stats' load section
:)

unfortunately it does not want to render slashdot at all....

bummer, I guess I have to find another way of displaying this site, or
simply go to a different 'news for nerds' locale

* [9fans] inferno
@ 2000-09-19  3:22 andrey mirtchovski