dhog@plan9.bell-labs.com says: > I'm personally getting quite sick of typing "atdt^M", (and > sometimes getting it wrong) and then having to participate in > further handshaking (and sometimes head-scratching) with my > ISP. Has anyone given any thought as to how this should be > automated? The "atdt^M" part can be automated by using -p telco!ispname if you trust telco (and if your /lib/ndb/local has a line like sys=ispname telco=555-1234). The further handshaking (if you need a login script for an isp which doesn't support CHAP or PAP) can be automated by persuading ip/ppp to call a command, in the manner of the -c option of con(1), instead of reading user input. You can use rc as a scripting language - below is my quickly thrown together script for logging into Compuserve (where 'cread -t N C' is a variant of read(1) which copies from stdin to stdout until either a character C is encountered or N seconds elapse). I could post the source for cread, and the change to ppp to call command scripts, but they're both pretty obvious. -- Richard