* Re: [9fans] Rant (was Re: Plan9 and Ada95?)
@ 2001-11-07 19:25 forsyth
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: forsyth @ 2001-11-07 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>Let's get off the hobbyhorse of criticising all the alternative
>>platforms and actually co-operate with them or show that the Plan
>>9 way is as superior as we make it out to be.

you're possibly overlooking the possibility that some of us have
written things such as portable compilers (and other things)
ourselves for a good few other systems, and take that into account
when making comparisons -- it's not
just that this or that isn't Plan 9.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9/Inferno on Pogo, anyone?
@ 2001-11-12 11:32 nigel
From: nigel @ 2001-11-12 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thin client. What operating system runs on their servers is probably more
interesting. Strange, I can't imagine thin client supporting a very large
consumer base; the numbers don't work out.

Perhaps they're more interested in selling the content than the device.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1991 bytes --]

From: John Murdie <john@cs.york.ac.uk>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Cc: John Murdie <john@cs.york.ac.uk>
Subject: [9fans] Plan 9/Inferno on Pogo, anyone?
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:22:35 +0000 (GMT)

http://www.pogo-tech.com/

Today's UK `IT Week' says that this 75MHz ARM7-based colour display PDA
'phone (it looks more PDA than 'phone) will be on retail sale in the UK
in January priced at £299 plus £8-£10 a month for an Internet
connection. (No mention of how much the 'phone contract will cost.)

Hmm, for all I know, it may be Inferno-based already, but I've seen no
mention of that.

--

John A. Murdie
Experimental Officer (Software)