From: Michael Warnock <michael@in-orbit.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] networking troubles
Date: Fri,  3 May 2002 14:20:49 -0700	[thread overview]

Greetings,

I posted the following to the wiki wishlist before I discovered this mailing list.  I hope I'm not being overly redundant, but
I'm quite excited about learning plan9 and my networking troubles have stood in the way since the 27th

 *	How does one test whether the network connection is up? ip/ping?
 *	Does 'ip/ipconfig ether /net/ether0 unbind' set the card to a
	state where it can be reassigned with 'ip/ipconfig -g ga.te.way.addr
	ether /net/ether0 ip.a.d.dr net.m.a.sk' or is there more to do?
 *	Must the first server on the network (which will be the dhcp and
	auth server) set it's ip in /rc/bin/termrc (or cpurc) or can a well
	formed /ndb/local assign it?
 *	If after assigning the ip in /rc/bin/termrc and not getting a
	"cant look up my ip" error from /ndb/dns, one can't ip/ping anything
	what are the possible problems?

I've done two complete installs on different boxes. The first on the 27th with an athlon/netgear 310/geforce2 and
yesterday with a pII/lynksys (tulip chip)/geforce2.  The first install downloaded the iso, the second one just stalled out
and I wound up making a CD.  I can see the kernel recognize the network card (#l0) on both machines, but have yet to
sucessfully ping any ips.

Michael Warnock
Artificial Life Programmer - InOrbit Entertainment Inc.
Total hard disk crash - O pestilence!
Now is the winter of our disk contents!