* Re: [9fans] acme fonts
@ 2003-10-14 12:17 David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-10-14 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Proportionally spaced fonts could be liberating, but don't
seem so in practice.  I find that all of the code lines up
nicely when I use the same font as the author (Rob included).
Perhaps we just need more time to liberate ourselves.

Formatting style goes hand in hand with programming style.
You format to make picking out elements of a program
visually easy.  While ignoring conventions can be liberating, it
can also jarring.

That said, I still think that it is incorrect to have the tools
force everyone to use a constant width font for programming.
Just as I, with my lousy vision, find constant width easier to
read, others prefer the caligraphic beauty of proportional
fonts.   If I wanted all things to line up as the original
author intended, I'ld rather people just put a comment
in their code saying what font it was written in.  It would
be nice if acme just let me point to a font name on the
screen and make executing it (button 2) mean change that window
to that font (or some such mechanism).  Then at least I
could keep tables looking like tables.

Of course, we could instead write programs in a Word/Brutus-like
editor whose output was xml with formatting inserted.  I
find that also way over the top but actually perferable
to forcing constant width fonts on everyone.

* Re: [9fans] acme fonts
@ 2003-10-14 15:51 ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2003-10-14 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ridicule away, i stand by my point.  industrial code is usually
commented in
rectilinear glory because that's how the programmers think the code
should
look to be professional.  if that much attention was spent on the code
itself
we might have better software.  often, in-house rules require such
attention
be paid, which is even crazier.

presotto: acme can change the font in a window, pretty much as you
described.  were you suggesting it be done differently?

-rob

* Re: [9fans] acme fonts
@ 2003-10-14 16:04 ` chris
From: chris @ 2003-10-14 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

presotto@closedmind.org wrote:
> Proportionally spaced fonts could be liberating, but don't
> seem so in practice.  I find that all of the code lines up
> nicely when I use the same font as the author (Rob included).
> Perhaps we just need more time to liberate ourselves.

The main problem I've seen here is how acme handles tabs.
Obviously there are other bits of code layout that will line up
in a CW font that wont in a VW font but for the most part I use
tabs for alignment.  Most important to me is 'leading edge' alignment
I am not too bothered about ragged trailing edges.

Maybe something like:
When doing tab calculation dont use the current character pos,
instead treat every preceeding char on the line as width 1em even
if it is less.  Set your tab width to 4em and I think you'll get
quite nice results irrespective of CW/VW font.

Obviously this only goes for newly written code - those extra tabs
to line up old code under the old tabbing scheme will throw it out,
but once prettied up, it will stay prettied up for everyone.

* Re: [9fans] acme fonts
@ 2003-10-15  3:27   ` david presotto
From: david presotto @ 2003-10-15  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

No, I didn't even realize it was that easy.
> ridicule away, i stand by my point.  industrial code is usually
> commented in
> rectilinear glory because that's how the programmers think the code
> should
> look to be professional.  if that much attention was spent on the code
> itself
> we might have better software.  often, in-house rules require such
> attention
> be paid, which is even crazier.
>
> presotto: acme can change the font in a window, pretty much as you
> described.  were you suggesting it be done differently?
>
> -rob

* Re: [9fans] Acme fonts
@ 2020-11-20 22:01       ` Stuart Morrow
From: Stuart Morrow @ 2020-11-20 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

a.k.a. twitalics

* Re: [9fans] Acme fonts
@ 2020-11-20 21:31     ` Yaroslav K
From: Yaroslav K @ 2020-11-20 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> On 22 Jul 2020, at 19:52, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com <mailto:rsc@swtch.com>> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 7:22 PM Anthony Martin <ality@pbrane.org <mailto:ality@pbrane.org>> wrote:
> Russ, what did you do to that poor little Acme?! ☺
>
> Did you take the less daunting route using
>
>  - a combined font file with shapes for normal, italic, bold, etc. and
>  - a filter to offset runes into "planes" for each font shape?
>
> Yes, that's what I did. Completely awful - the text being displayed isn't usable as text. You can tell because when I double-click on the modified text acme doesn't know where the word boundaries are and ends up highlighting across punctuation that it normally wouldn't.
>
> <Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 2.59.23 PM.png>
>
> I'd like to do something better at some point, but it's unclear exactly how.

Inspired by the Russ'es hack, I figured there are official Unicode ranges <http://unicode.org/charts/PDF/Unicode-3.1/U31-1D400.pdf> for alternative font variants:, "to be used for mathematical variables where style variations are important semantically". The ranges are not properly aligned into "planes", and some of the ranges are disjoint, but hey, who said standards are well engineered.

So I wrote a bunch of tr's and came up with a script called tfont <https://9p.io/sources/contrib/yk/lab/fontmix/tfont> which translates an arbitrary text into a selected code point range.

Reverse translations back into ASCII are available through "|tfont R".

Macs have a decent fallback font mechanism but to have more control over the appearance we may plant subfont overrides similar to Russ'es but in the standard ranges. Take GoFont for example:

To make it easier to experiment with different font combinations and sizes, I made an awk script, fontmap.awk <https://9p.io/sources/contrib/yk/lab/fontmix/fontmix.awk>, which can be invoked like this:

        gofonts = (-v 'fR=GoRegular' -v 'fL=GoMono' -v 'fHB=Go-Bold' -v 'fHI=Go-Italic' -v 'fHX=Go-BoldItalic')
        awk -v 'vsz=16a' -v 'msz=14a' $gofonts -f fontmix.awk > regular.16.font

Being a standard unicode, the resulting text  text is suitable for transmission. See yourself:

𝙻       𝙷𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚘, 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚕𝚍!
𝐁       𝐇𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐨, 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝!
𝗛𝗕      𝗛𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗼, 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗹𝗱!
𝘏𝘐      𝘏𝘦𝘭𝘭𝘰, 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘭𝘥!
𝙃𝙓      𝙃𝙚𝙡𝙡𝙤, 𝙬𝙤𝙧𝙡𝙙!

Depending on your system's font coverage your mileage may vary.

The scripts along with some generated font files are available under /n/sources/contrib/yk/lab/fontmix/ <https://9p.io/sources/contrib/yk/lab/fontmix/>.

Enjoy!

____
Yaroslav Kolomiiets

[-- Attachment #2.2: tfont.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 167151 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.3: fontmap.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 239350 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Acme fonts
@ 2020-07-23 13:08       ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2020-07-23 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020, at 6:27 AM, Lucio De Re wrote:

> It does mean that acme needs some way to extend its grasp of
> delimiters into the extended fonts.

How about just masking off the top few bits when checking for delimiters? Not really a clean solution, but certainly simple. It would mean some long numbers in subfont files. If we use the top 4 bits:
    0x10000000 0x1000001f /mnt/font/MyriadPro-It/36a/x0000.bit
That doesn't look as bad as I thought it would.

* Re: [9fans] Acme fonts
@ 2020-07-23  5:27     ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2020-07-23  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 7/22/20, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 7:22 PM Anthony Martin <ality@pbrane.org> wrote:
>
>> Russ, what did you do to that poor little Acme?! ☺
>>
>> Did you take the less daunting route using
>>
>>  - a combined font file with shapes for normal, italic, bold, etc. and
>>  - a filter to offset runes into "planes" for each font shape?
>>

> Yes, that's what I did. Completely awful - the text being displayed isn't
> usable as text. You can tell because when I double-click on the modified
> text acme doesn't know where the word boundaries are and ends up
> highlighting across punctuation that it normally wouldn't.

Remembering a discussion on 9fans where I suggested that capital
letters ought to be a different font, not a unique glyph (Russian, for
example, I believe just changes the font size, which we know is a
different font), I think Russ's is an excellent solution, given those
8 bits between 24 and 32 that one can abuse for the purpose.

It does mean that acme needs some way to extend its grasp of
delimiters into the extended fonts. Solving that without resorting to
a total separation between input and rendering, would be a winner, but
I am not competent enough to know if it is even remotely possible.

Incidentally, I opted for a tag line that looks like this:

     "... Snarf Undo Put  |Fmt |q |f78 look |b |e Font"

where I use "b" and "e" /bin commands to generate time stamps in my
"notepad" document. The details don't seem worth going into, "q", if I
remember right, is straight out of Russ's $home/bin/rc from years back
(with "g" which I have yet to enhance correctly to work on ".go"
directories). I got my inspiration remembering that a friend and
colleague (Windows user) adopted single letter command for all sorts
of shortcuts he memorised and even changed in different contexts.

The temptation to add a vertical edge to each acme window with a
single letter in little blocks - lower case and possibly capitals - is
only resisted by my reluctance to tackle a task I may not be
sufficiently competent to complete.

And for other ".go" developers, how many of you have found renaming a
module from ".go" to ".no" a practical approach to get it,
temporarily, perhaps, out of the way of the compiler?

Lucio.

PS: Sorry about the off-topic diversion. I do happen to be marvelling
over fonts among many other distractions from my day job. I still
don't quite have a proper understanding, so I get odd results when I
try to do anything creative,  but not everything is a failure,
thankfully.

PPS: Like Forsyth, I like the io/fs idea. I like "generics" a lot
less, and I find go modules (sorry, Russ) quite incomprehensible
<sigh!>.

* Re: [9fans] Acme fonts
@ 2020-07-23  4:31           ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2020-07-23  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I see, yes. Well, that's not too terrible.

-rob

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 1:40 PM <ori@eigenstate.org> wrote:

> > I don't understand that. Acme knows the characters' location or it
> couldn't
> > draw them. Are you sure it's not just the frame library's lousy handling
> of
> > italic fonts?
>
> Unless I'm misunderstanding how this works, ',' (0x2c) gets mangled
> to something like 0x10002c.
>
> So, acme knows the location, but not the character types. That means
> 'foo,bar,baz' with a mangled ',' codepoint would treat ',' as a word
> character instead of a separator. Double clicking within foo would
> select [foo,bar,baz] rather than just foo.

* Re: [9fans] Acme fonts
@ 2020-07-23  3:38         ` ori
From: ori @ 2020-07-23  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2020-07-22 23:05       ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2020-07-22 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2020-07-22 22:47     ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2020-07-22 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Which films do not involve some sleight of hand to make the scene? I like
the io/fs suggestion.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 7:55 PM Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 7:22 PM Anthony Martin <ality@pbrane.org> wrote:
>
>> Russ, what did you do to that poor little Acme?! ☺
>>
>> Did you take the less daunting route using
>>
>>  - a combined font file with shapes for normal, italic, bold, etc. and
>>  - a filter to offset runes into "planes" for each font shape?
>>

> Yes, that's what I did. Completely awful - the text being displayed isn't
> usable as text. You can tell because when I double-click on the modified
> text acme doesn't know where the word boundaries are and ends up
> highlighting across punctuation that it normally wouldn't.
>
> [image: Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 2.59.23 PM.png]
>
> I'd like to do something better at some point, but it's unclear exactly
> how.
>
> Best,
> Russ
>

> *9fans <https://9fans.topicbox.com/latest>* / 9fans / see discussions
> <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans> + participants
> <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/members> + delivery options
> <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T9673b88bfb3c3d3b-M7d56ced3d248172b5763d6eb>

[-- Attachment #2: Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 2.59.23 PM.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 195304 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Acme fonts
@ 2020-07-22 18:52   ` Russ Cox
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2020-07-22 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2013-12-11 22:08                     ` Mark van Atten
From: Mark van Atten @ 2013-12-11 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 10:56 PM, Blake McBride <blake@mcbride.name> wrote:
> Interesting.  On the bottom it says fontsrv has no support for X11.  Is
> there a way to use the fonts that come with Linux?

It does support X11 now.

Mark.

* Re: [9fans] Acme: fonts
@ 2013-12-11 22:05                     ` Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-11 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Figured it out.

export font=/mnt/font/Courier/12a/font
sam &

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 3:56 PM, Blake McBride <blake@mcbride.name> wrote:

> Interesting.  On the bottom it says fontsrv has no support for X11.  Is
> there a way to use the fonts that come with Linux?
>
> Another question.  Is there a way to use a specific font with sam?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Blake
>

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca>wrote:
>

>> On Dec 11, 2013, at 1:10 PM, Blake McBride <blake@mcbride.name> wrote:
>>
>> > How can I access the font from acme?
>>
>> See the EXAMPLES section of the fontsrv(1) manpage.

* Re: [9fans] Acme: fonts
@ 2013-12-11 22:00                     ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2013-12-11 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Dec 11, 2013, at 1:56 PM, Blake McBride <blake@mcbride.name> wrote:

> Another question.  Is there a way to use a specific font with sam?

See the EXAMPLES section of the fontsrv(1) manpage.

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: [9fans] Acme: fonts
@ 2013-12-11 21:56                   ` Blake McBride
                                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-11 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2013-12-11 21:25                 ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2013-12-11 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2013-12-11 21:25                     ` Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-11 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Sorry again.  Re-read first post.  I forgot the "12a/font" part since it
wasn't displayed in the ls.  Now it works as I had hoped.  This totally
answers my question.

Thank you all!

Blake

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Blake McBride <blake@mcbride.name> wrote:

> I see.  Sorry.  I tried two different ones and I got:
>
> can't open font file /mnt/font/Courier: bad height or ascent in font file
> can't open font file /mnt/font/Menlo-Regular: bad height or ascent in
> font file
>

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 3:14 PM, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> see the first reply in this thread
>>

>> On Wednesday, December 11, 2013, Blake McBride wrote:
>>
>>>  Okay.  I build and installed fontsrv.  I have it running.  Now when I
>>> do:
>>>
>>> 9p ls font
>>>
>>> it lists all the fonts on my system.  One of them is "Courier".  From
>>> acme, I tried:
>>>
>>> Font Courier
>>>
>>> But that doesn't work.  It tells me:
>>>
>>> can't open font file Courier: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> It seems fontsrv is working or the 9p ls font wouldn't work.  How can I
>>> access the font from acme?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Blake

* Re: [9fans] Acme: fonts
@ 2013-12-11 21:21                   ` Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-11 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I see.  Sorry.  I tried two different ones and I got:

can't open font file /mnt/font/Courier: bad height or ascent in font file
can't open font file /mnt/font/Menlo-Regular: bad height or ascent in font
file

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 3:14 PM, andrey mirtchovski
<mirtchovski@gmail.com>wrote:

> see the first reply in this thread
>

> On Wednesday, December 11, 2013, Blake McBride wrote:
>
>> Okay.  I build and installed fontsrv.  I have it running.  Now when I
>> do:
>>
>> 9p ls font
>>
>> it lists all the fonts on my system.  One of them is "Courier".  From
>> acme, I tried:
>>
>> Font Courier
>>
>> But that doesn't work.  It tells me:
>>
>> can't open font file Courier: No such file or directory
>>
>> It seems fontsrv is working or the 9p ls font wouldn't work.  How can I
>> access the font from acme?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Blake

>>> Now that is valuable information!!  Thanks!
>>>
>>> Blake

* Re: [9fans] Acme: fonts
@ 2013-12-11 21:14                 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2013-12-11 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

see the first reply in this thread

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013, Blake McBride wrote:

> Okay.  I build and installed fontsrv.  I have it running.  Now when I do:
>

> 9p ls font
>
> it lists all the fonts on my system.  One of them is "Courier".  From
> acme, I tried:
>
> Font Courier
>
> But that doesn't work.  It tells me:
>
> can't open font file Courier: No such file or directory
>
> It seems fontsrv is working or the 9p ls font wouldn't work.  How can I
> access the font from acme?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Blake
>

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Blake McBride <blake@mcbride.name<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', 'blake@mcbride.name');>
> > wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Aram Hăvărneanu <aram.h@mgk.ro<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', 'aram.h@mgk.ro');>
>> > wrote:

>>> The point is that fontsrv allows p9p programs (including acme) to use
>>> whatever true-type font you already have on the system.
>>>

>> Now that is valuable information!!  Thanks!
>>
>> Blake

* Re: [9fans] Acme: fonts
@ 2013-12-11 21:10               ` Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-11 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Okay.  I build and installed fontsrv.  I have it running.  Now when I do:

9p ls font

it lists all the fonts on my system.  One of them is "Courier".  From acme,
I tried:

Font Courier

But that doesn't work.  It tells me:

can't open font file Courier: No such file or directory

It seems fontsrv is working or the 9p ls font wouldn't work.  How can I
access the font from acme?

Thanks.

Blake

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Blake McBride <blake@mcbride.name> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Aram Hăvărneanu <aram.h@mgk.ro> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Blake McBride <blake@mcbride.name>
>> wrote:
>> > I'm sure I can get it to compile but I don't see the point.
>>
>> The point is that fontsrv allows p9p programs (including acme) to use
>> whatever true-type font you already have on the system.
>>

> Now that is valuable information!!  Thanks!
>
> Blake

* Re: [9fans] Acme: fonts
@ 2013-12-11 21:04                   ` sl
From: sl @ 2013-12-11 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> When I began using acme, sam, 9term, I much cared about ttf fonts. But
> I, too, have come to prefer the sharpness of the 1 bit fonts.

A running joke is that prolonged used of Plan 9 damages your eyesight
until you no longer care what anything looks like. Presumably, at this
point, lucm/unicode.9.font is welcome simply because the runes are
large enough to distinguish on screen.

Rob planned for the future.

sl

* Re: [9fans] Acme: fonts
@ 2013-12-11 20:47                 ` Mark van Atten
From: Mark van Atten @ 2013-12-11 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 9:30 PM,  <sl@9front.org> wrote:
>>> It's a matter of taste, but I prefer the sharpness of the 1 bit fonts. The gray,
>>> fuzzy stuff eventually takes a toll on my eyes.
>>
>> s/taste/eyesight/, perhaps?
>
> Perhaps, but I like to think differences of opinion don't necessarily
> indicate physical disability.
>
> sl

When I began using acme, sam, 9term, I much cared about ttf fonts. But
I, too, have come to prefer the sharpness of the 1 bit fonts.

Perhaps a case of acquisition of a taste catalysed by decreasing eyesight.

Now I usually start acme from standard 9term with
acme -f $font
so it uses lucm/unicode.9.font (this on a 27" 1920x1080 screen).

Mark.

* Re: [9fans] Acme: fonts
@ 2013-12-11 20:40                 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-12-11 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Dec 11 15:32:25 EST 2013, sl@9front.org wrote:
> >> It's a matter of taste, but I prefer the sharpness of the 1 bit fonts. The gray,
> >> fuzzy stuff eventually takes a toll on my eyes.
> >
> > s/taste/eyesight/, perhaps?
>
> Perhaps, but I like to think differences of opinion don't necessarily
> indicate physical disability.

i apoligize if this was misinterpreted.

i was speaking only about myself.  and assuming that even folks of
nominally normal vision differed in their perception.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Acme: fonts
@ 2013-12-11 20:38             ` Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-11 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2013-12-11 20:30               ` sl
From: sl @ 2013-12-11 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2013-12-11 20:26                 ` Mark van Atten
From: Mark van Atten @ 2013-12-11 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

cd /usr/local/plan9/src/cmd/fontsrv/
9 mk install

works fine on my system (p9p on OSX 10.8.5)

Mark.

* Re: [9fans] Acme: fonts
@ 2013-12-11 20:15           ` Aram Hăvărneanu
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2013-12-11 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9fans] Acme: fonts
@ 2013-12-11 20:12               ` Rubén Berenguel
From: Rubén Berenguel @ 2013-12-11 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

In my current computer the fonts look as crisp as any native Mac app,
except for slashes where some jagginess can be seen on close inspection.
Usually I'm not close enough to the computer to notice, but large fonts
have this (currently I'm using Cochin 20 and AnonymousPro 16) To get Monaco
or any other otf font from the system you actually need to compile and runt
fontsrv. I think I had to go through some hoops to compile it (don't
remember exactly, it was 4 months ago) but essentially should be going to
the fontsrv directory and mk (I guess some uncommenting was needed
somewhere in a makefile) once you have it, run it with & to keep it live to
list all fonts with 9p ls font to see what's available.

Ruben

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 9:04 PM, Blake McBride <blake@mcbride.name> wrote:

> Your font does look better than what I have (but not perfect).
>  Monaco didn't come with 9p9.  Where did you get that?
>
> I am changing font via the Acme Font command on the tag line; i.e.
>
>      Font /usr/local/plan9port/font/fixed/unicode.9x15B.font
>
> It is changing the font.  The change is obvious.
>
> Since most Mac (or Linux) apps have fonts that appear smoothly, fonts
> without significant compression exist.  How can I get "uncompressed" / much
> higher resolution fonts for acme?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Blake
>

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 1:53 PM, Rubén Berenguel <ruben@mostlymaths.net>wrote:
>
>> Check here:
>>
>> https://vimeo.com/64487176
>>
>> The slight pixelation comes from the video compression. The font is
>> Monaco, on my old Macbook
>>
>> How are you exactly changing fonts, though?
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Blake McBride <blake@mcbride.name>wrote:
>>
>>> I checked.  fontsrv didn't compile.  I'm sure I can get it to compile
>>> but I don't see the point.  Acme comes up, I can change fonts, etc..  What
>>> will fontsrv buy me?
>>>
>>> Incidentally, when I look on the net at picture or videos of acme, the
>>> fonts they show on all of those are pixilated too.  See:
>>>
>>> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/98/Acme.png
>>> http://research.swtch.com/acme
>>>
>>> Those look like mine.  Obviously it is highly usable, but the fonts
>>> shown are pixilated and not smooth like fonts that come with the Mac,
>>> Linux, etc.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

* Re: [9fans] Acme: fonts
@ 2013-12-11 20:06             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-12-11 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2013-12-11 20:04             ` Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-11 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Your font does look better than what I have (but not perfect).
 Monaco didn't come with 9p9.  Where did you get that?

I am changing font via the Acme Font command on the tag line; i.e.

     Font /usr/local/plan9port/font/fixed/unicode.9x15B.font

It is changing the font.  The change is obvious.

Since most Mac (or Linux) apps have fonts that appear smoothly, fonts
without significant compression exist.  How can I get "uncompressed" / much
higher resolution fonts for acme?

Thanks.

Blake

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 1:53 PM, Rubén Berenguel <ruben@mostlymaths.net>wrote:

> Check here:
>
> https://vimeo.com/64487176
>
> The slight pixelation comes from the video compression. The font is
> Monaco, on my old Macbook
>
> How are you exactly changing fonts, though?
>

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Blake McBride <blake@mcbride.name> wrote:
>
>> I checked.  fontsrv didn't compile.  I'm sure I can get it to compile
>> but I don't see the point.  Acme comes up, I can change fonts, etc..  What
>> will fontsrv buy me?
>>
>> Incidentally, when I look on the net at picture or videos of acme, the
>> fonts they show on all of those are pixilated too.  See:
>>
>> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/98/Acme.png
>> http://research.swtch.com/acme
>>
>> Those look like mine.  Obviously it is highly usable, but the fonts shown
>> are pixilated and not smooth like fonts that come with the Mac, Linux, etc.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Rubén Berenguel <ruben@mostlymaths.net>wrote:
>>
>>> When I installed p9ports in my new Macbook Air (around 4 months ago),
>>> fontsrv didn't compile "out of the box," I had to compile it separately.
>>> For me all available fonts read perfectly well and sharp (Mac OS X 10.9 on
>>> Air 13" and Mac OS X 10.6.8 on Macbook 13")
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Ruben

* Re: [9fans] Acme: fonts
@ 2013-12-11 20:03           ` sl
From: sl @ 2013-12-11 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2013-12-11 19:53           ` Rubén Berenguel
From: Rubén Berenguel @ 2013-12-11 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Check here:

https://vimeo.com/64487176

The slight pixelation comes from the video compression. The font is Monaco,
on my old Macbook

How are you exactly changing fonts, though?

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Blake McBride <blake@mcbride.name> wrote:

> I checked.  fontsrv didn't compile.  I'm sure I can get it to compile but
> I don't see the point.  Acme comes up, I can change fonts, etc..  What will
> fontsrv buy me?
>
> Incidentally, when I look on the net at picture or videos of acme, the
> fonts they show on all of those are pixilated too.  See:
>
> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/98/Acme.png
> http://research.swtch.com/acme
>
> Those look like mine.  Obviously it is highly usable, but the fonts shown
> are pixilated and not smooth like fonts that come with the Mac, Linux, etc.
>
> Thanks.
>

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Rubén Berenguel <ruben@mostlymaths.net>wrote:
>
>> When I installed p9ports in my new Macbook Air (around 4 months ago),
>> fontsrv didn't compile "out of the box," I had to compile it separately.
>> For me all available fonts read perfectly well and sharp (Mac OS X 10.9 on
>> Air 13" and Mac OS X 10.6.8 on Macbook 13")
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ruben

>>> 1 bit fonts are legible. this is a feature.
>>>
>>> sl

* Re: [9fans] Acme: fonts
@ 2013-12-11 19:50         ` Blake McBride
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-11 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I checked.  fontsrv didn't compile.  I'm sure I can get it to compile but I
don't see the point.  Acme comes up, I can change fonts, etc..  What will
fontsrv buy me?

Incidentally, when I look on the net at picture or videos of acme, the
fonts they show on all of those are pixilated too.  See:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/98/Acme.png
http://research.swtch.com/acme

Those look like mine.  Obviously it is highly usable, but the fonts shown
are pixilated and not smooth like fonts that come with the Mac, Linux, etc.

Thanks.

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Rubén Berenguel <ruben@mostlymaths.net>wrote:

> When I installed p9ports in my new Macbook Air (around 4 months ago),
> fontsrv didn't compile "out of the box," I had to compile it separately.
> For me all available fonts read perfectly well and sharp (Mac OS X 10.9 on
> Air 13" and Mac OS X 10.6.8 on Macbook 13")
>
> Regards,
>
> Ruben
>

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 8:26 PM, <sl@9front.org> wrote:
>
>> > still a bit pixilated
>>
>> 1 bit fonts are legible. this is a feature.
>>
>> sl

* Re: [9fans] Acme: fonts
@ 2013-12-11 19:33       ` Rubén Berenguel
From: Rubén Berenguel @ 2013-12-11 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

When I installed p9ports in my new Macbook Air (around 4 months ago),
fontsrv didn't compile "out of the box," I had to compile it separately.
For me all available fonts read perfectly well and sharp (Mac OS X 10.9 on
Air 13" and Mac OS X 10.6.8 on Macbook 13")

Regards,

Ruben

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 8:26 PM, <sl@9front.org> wrote:

> > still a bit pixilated
>
> 1 bit fonts are legible. this is a feature.
>
> sl

* Re: [9fans] Acme: fonts
@ 2013-12-11 19:32 ` Oleksandr Iakovliev
From: Oleksandr Iakovliev @ 2013-12-11 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 2013-12-11 19:45 , Blake McBride wrote:
> The problem is that the fonts are low-res and pixilated (when compared
> to almost any other program on the Mac).  (I think I saw the same
> problem under Linux.)

You can turn the pixilation in the advantage by using Terminus font -
one of my favorites for the programming in console/terminal!

* Re: [9fans] Acme: fonts
@ 2013-12-11 19:26     ` sl
From: sl @ 2013-12-11 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2013-12-11 19:19       ` Christopher Wilson
From: Christopher Wilson @ 2013-12-11 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Okay that explains a lot. I've had trouble with acme on Mac 10.7 and 10.8
On Dec 11, 2013 1:17 PM, "erik quanstrom" <quanstro@labs.coraid.com> wrote:

> > I am running plan9port on my Mac, not Plan-9 or Inferno so there is no
> > fontsrv.  I can, however, run:
>
> fontsrv only exists in plan9port.
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] Acme: fonts
@ 2013-12-11 19:15     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-12-11 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2013-12-11 19:12   ` Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-11 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I am running a 17" MacBook Pro with OS/X 10.6.8.

I am running plan9port on my Mac, not Plan-9 or Inferno so there is no
fontsrv.  I can, however, run:

         find /usr/local/plan9port/font -name '*.font'

to see what is available.  Currently, there are 242 available.  The top
level looks like this:

big5
fixed
gb
jis
luc
lucm
lucsans
misc
naga10
palatino
pelm
sample
shinonome
smiley
special
times

I can easily get to and use any of them.  The problem is that they are low
res (definitely usable but still a bit pixilated).

Thanks.

Blake

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 12:52 PM, andrey mirtchovski
<mirtchovski@gmail.com>wrote:

> try "acme -a -f /mnt/font/Menlo-Regular/12a/font"
>
> run the fontsrv command and run '9p ls font' to see what's available
> on your mac.
>
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Blake McBride <blake@mcbride.name>
> wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am using acme on a Mac form plan9port.
> >
> > The fonts that are used when the system comes up are usable.  Also, I
> know
> > how to use the Font command.  I tried several of the fonts (*.font) that
> > come with the system too.
> >
> > The problem is that the fonts are low-res and pixilated (when compared to
> > almost any other program on the Mac).  (I think I saw the same problem
> under
> > Linux.)
> >
> > Are there hi-res fonts I can use?  Perhaps fonts that come with the Max
> and
> > Linux?  I don't know how to use them.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Blake McBride

* Re: [9fans] Acme: fonts
@ 2013-12-11 19:05   ` Christopher Wilson
From: Christopher Wilson @ 2013-12-11 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Out of curiosity, what Mac version are you on, Blake?
On Dec 11, 2013 12:54 PM, "andrey mirtchovski" <mirtchovski@gmail.com>
wrote:

> try "acme -a -f /mnt/font/Menlo-Regular/12a/font"
>
> run the fontsrv command and run '9p ls font' to see what's available
> on your mac.
>
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Blake McBride <blake@mcbride.name>
> wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am using acme on a Mac form plan9port.
> >
> > The fonts that are used when the system comes up are usable.  Also, I
> know
> > how to use the Font command.  I tried several of the fonts (*.font) that
> > come with the system too.
> >
> > The problem is that the fonts are low-res and pixilated (when compared to
> > almost any other program on the Mac).  (I think I saw the same problem
> under
> > Linux.)
> >
> > Are there hi-res fonts I can use?  Perhaps fonts that come with the Max
> and
> > Linux?  I don't know how to use them.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Blake McBride

* Re: [9fans] Acme: fonts
@ 2013-12-11 18:52 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2013-12-11 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

try "acme -a -f /mnt/font/Menlo-Regular/12a/font"

run the fontsrv command and run '9p ls font' to see what's available
on your mac.

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Blake McBride <blake@mcbride.name> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am using acme on a Mac form plan9port.
>
> The fonts that are used when the system comes up are usable.  Also, I know
> how to use the Font command.  I tried several of the fonts (*.font) that
> come with the system too.
>
> The problem is that the fonts are low-res and pixilated (when compared to
> almost any other program on the Mac).  (I think I saw the same problem under
> Linux.)
>
> Are there hi-res fonts I can use?  Perhaps fonts that come with the Max and
> Linux?  I don't know how to use them.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Blake McBride

* [9fans] Acme: fonts
@ 2013-12-11 18:45 Blake McBride
From: Blake McBride @ 2013-12-11 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-10-15 10:28           ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2003-10-15 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 06:30:13 +0100, Charles Forsyth <forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> for me, easily the most useful thing to improve being able to read and
> write C would be to eliminate that annoying need for forward
> declaration of functions when compilers slurp in the whole thing.

And it's not like we haven't learned to do two passes on things.

 Brantley

* Re: [9fans] acme fonts
@ 2003-10-15  7:29   ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-10-15  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> but code looks so much prettier in proportionally spaced fonts!

Agree. It's just tabs. Probably doing what other has suggested,
i.e., making tab width to calculate xpos as if it were constant width,
could fix that.

* Re: [9fans] acme fonts
@ 2003-10-15  5:40       ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2003-10-15  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>i am surprised how this problem has been in everyone's mind but pretty much
>>not discussed so far (if i am right). sure, this is a catch-22 kind of a

i'd wondered instead whether everyone was suddenly approaching an
age where reading glasses often start to be prescribed(!)
my optometrist has been disappointed so far (``hmm. we'll see what happens next time.''),
but i suppose it might not be long.  i could practise on my OED.

* Re: [9fans] acme fonts
@ 2003-10-15  5:30         ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2003-10-15  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

tabs indent code consistently for me and i use a range of typefaces
(depending where i am and what i'm using for display).  if the size
set for space is relatively small, i suppose there might well be a problem.

ah. but what about
	int	fred;
	long	jim;
or
static	int	fred;
extern	long	jim;

perhaps i just write

static int fred;
extern long jim;

or i put the tabs in for old times' sake but don't fuss.  the things don't line
up if you use different tab settings anyway, so what's the point.  worst is
the code that uses a mixture of tabs and spaces, but that's not usual in Plan 9 source.

for me, easily the most useful thing to improve being able to read and
write C would be to eliminate that annoying need for forward
declaration of functions when compilers slurp in the whole thing.
ugh.

* Re: [9fans] acme fonts
@ 2003-10-14 23:44       ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2003-10-14 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:13:03 -0700 Rob Pike <rob@mightycheese.com> wrote:

> > actually, even by the time of QED, assembly source code didn't bother
> > lining up the comments, just tabbed over and said what there was to
> > say.
> > not that it was chatty, even then...
>
> it would be frightening to estimate how much time programmers have
> wasted formatting their text so comments line up and other such idiocies.
> proportional fronts are liberating because you get back all that time. if
> your program needs to be laid out with vertical alignment to be understood,
> rewrite it.
>
> -rob

Proportional fronts? I thought D'Arcy Thompson showed that all fronds are
proportional, on Fibonnaci series?

-George

PS There are texts which it makes sense
	to lay out in fixed indents

   Lest by typography
	you ruin their orthography

--
George Michaelson       |  APNIC
Email: ggm@apnic.net    |  PO Box 2131 Milton QLD 4064

* Re: [9fans] acme fonts
@ 2003-10-14 19:36     ` vdharani
From: vdharani @ 2003-10-14 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>>in acme.  While [proportional typeface] gives you a bit of screen
>>>space, ...
>
> actually, i use it because it looks good, is easier to read, and i
> think contributes to the overall good look of a plan 9 screen.
the main problem is when you have to use the code in other platforms or
tools. The code becomes a bit messy when you have to use vi or even sam (if
I am right, because i dont use sam though i want to try it sometime).

this was a constant problem for me and at one time i decided to stick to
acme (with euro.8) and format my code accordingly. i get into trouble off
and on (like when writing the code to print formatted output or seeing the
output) at which time i temporarily switching to fixed font.

now that presotto said how they use use acme, i am trying to use fixed
font. not too good but it definitely solves the problem.

i am surprised how this problem has been in everyone's mind but pretty much
not discussed so far (if i am right). sure, this is a catch-22 kind of a
situation.

thanks
dharani

* Re: [9fans] acme fonts
@ 2003-10-14 11:17       ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-10-14 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I feel so liberated...

#include <u.h> #include <libc.h> void cat(int f, char *s) { char buf[8192]; long n; while((n=read(f, buf, (long)sizeof buf))>0) if(write(1, buf, n)!=n) sysfatal("write error copying %s: %r", s); if(n < 0) sysfatal("error reading %s: %r", s); } void main(int argc, char *argv[]) { int f, i; argv0 = "cat"; if(argc == 1) cat(0, "<stdin>"); else for(i=1; i<argc; i++){ f = open(argv[i], OREAD); if(f < 0) sysfatal("can't open %s: %r", argv[i]); else{ cat(f, argv[i]); close(f); } } exits(0); }

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2686 bytes --]

From: Rob Pike <rob@mightycheese.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:13:03 -0700

@ 2003-10-14  8:13     ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2003-10-14  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-10-14  8:09   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2003-10-14  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>in acme.  While [proportional typeface] gives you a bit of screen space, ...

actually, i use it because it looks good, is easier to read, and i
think contributes to the overall good look of a plan 9 screen.
perhaps it increases the amount of text on the screen but i was never
particularly worred about that.
(if i worried about screen space, i suppose i'd write less,
or switch to sms-style.  u no t mx sns.)
if i started to worry about formatting, i'd stop writing assembler!

@ 2003-10-14  0:04 ` rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2003-10-14  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-10-13 19:35     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-10-13 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

<vdharani@infernopark.com> writes:
> > Several of us have given up on the variable width font completely
> > in acme. While it gives you a bit of screen space, it totally
> > fucks up formatting.
>
> how do Sam and rio (rc) manage? they use fixed font or variable font?

Sam and rio use fixed width fonts.

> > I'm not sure I like a special purpose hack
> > just for .[ch].  Just say no to variable width.  If the screen
> > gets tight, use a smaller font.
>
> yes, i think the problem is more generic than that (definitely win is one
> candidate, mainly due to the output of programs).

I don't like the idea of just giving up on variable width fonts;
they're easier on the eyes for some things (like mail).  I wouldn't
mind being able to set a regular expression that would match tags
of windows that automatically get fixed-width font treatment, the
rest defaulting to variable width.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] acme fonts
@ 2003-10-13 19:02   ` vdharani
From: vdharani @ 2003-10-13 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-10-13 16:56   ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-10-13 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

To be sincere, we were suspecting smtp problems here and just couldnt
find a machine outside our network where to try direct mail to our
server.  Our first bet was to send something not fully useless to
9fans.  Sorry :-)

Anyway, I'm using var fonts because I like lucida ones to read mails
and the like, but as you say, they mess up formatting.  I found that
by instructing Acme to use fixed fonts for all the file names were I
care about formatting, my screen looks nicer to me.

But I'm happy to see the trend.  Probably it's better just to say no
Thanks for your answer.

* Re: [9fans] acme fonts
@ 2003-10-13 16:49 ` David Presotto
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: David Presotto @ 2003-10-13 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Several of us have given up on the variable width font completely
in acme.  While it gives you a bit of screen space, it totally
fucks up formatting.  I'm not sure I like a special purpose hack
just for .[ch].  Just say no to variable width.  If the screen
gets tight, use a smaller font.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1840 bytes --]

From: Fco.J.Ballesteros <nemo@plan9.escet.urjc.es>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] acme fonts
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:43:59 +0200

Hi,

	we changed acme to use fixed font for anything named *.[ch...]
and var font otherwise. Just to let you know. If anyone gets
interested I can send a diff of our kludge.

hth

* [9fans] acme fonts
@ 2003-10-13 16:43 Fco.J.Ballesteros