From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@swtch.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] fmt and unicode text
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 17:22:15 -0500	[thread overview]

> how about creating yet another group on sources?  call it 'patch' and
> add the 10-15 people who more or less regularly submit patches to it.
> this creates a hierarchy similar to the BSD's, where the Bell-Labs
> people are similar to the 'core' team -- they decide what stays and
> what doesn't; people added to 'patch' are similar to the ones with cvs
> commit bit for parts of the tree, and everybody else is nobody.
>
> if a non-patch member wants to submit a patch they can contact one of
> the members in the group to do it for them.  if that becomes frequent
> enough this person gets added to it.
>
> it lifts the burdain of having to monitor many 9fans and 9trouble for
> you guys, allows us to see what goes in and why stuff is rejected,
> keeps a trail of external submissions and keeps this list cleaner of
> code and free for offtopic discussions :)

I'd rather have a way that can (continue to) treat everyone equally.
Anyone who wants to submit a patch should be able to do it themselves,
without having to find someone to introduce it for them.  What you
suggest sounds reasonable at first glance but might be enough extra
work that it would discourage newcomers from bothering.  And newcomers
bearing patches are always a pleasant surprise, one that I'd prefer
not to discourage.  What you suggest introduces a new level of politics
that I'd like to avoid.

The main advantage of patch to us is that we don't have to edit
the source files manually to take them.  What I said in the last
message will probably happen eventually, perhaps in December.