* [9fans] Venti on OpenBSD: vtversion: bad format in version string
@ 2014-01-13 23:59 Grant Mather
From: Grant Mather @ 2014-01-13 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello everyone,

I am new to the list and to Plan 9. I have been trying to set up an
OpenBSD venti server for a few days now, but to no success. My
intention was to use it as the default venti server for my Plan 9
machine.

I partitioned the disk using fdisk to create one large OpenBSD
partition, and then created two paritions with disklabel, one for arenas
and one for isect. I followed the wiki page for setting up venti, and
have been able to get it working on Plan 9 and other OSes, but not
OpenBSD.

Using plan9port-20120508 that is provided with OpenBSD seems to have
venti working properly on the system, but it does not work across the
network, when trying to connect with vac/unvac to the server with a
different OS, I invariably get "vtversion: bad format in version
string".

Using the most up to date plan9port-20140107, I get the same vtversion
string when connecting from other OSes, and venti doesn't seem to even
work on the server, I in turn get "vac: could not connect to server:
Connection refused".

Any help would be much appreciated it, I don't know what's going on.

grm

* Re: [9fans] Venti on OpenBSD: vtversion: bad format in version string
@ 2014-01-15  6:48 ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2014-01-15  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Jan 13, 2014, at 3:59 PM, Grant Mather <hcaulfield57@gmail.com> wrote:
> I partitioned the disk using fdisk to create one large OpenBSD
> partition, and then created two paritions with disklabel, one for arenas
> and one for isect. I followed the wiki page for setting up venti, and
> have been able to get it working on Plan 9 and other OSes, but not
> OpenBSD.

One suggestion is to use normal files for venti and see if that works.

> Using plan9port-20120508 that is provided with OpenBSD seems to have
> venti working properly on the system, but it does not work across the
> network, when trying to connect with vac/unvac to the server with a
> different OS, I invariably get "vtversion: bad format in version
> string".
>
> Using the most up to date plan9port-20140107, I get the same vtversion
> string when connecting from other OSes, and venti doesn't seem to even
> work on the server, I in turn get "vac: could not connect to server:
> Connection refused".

Have you tried diffing the two versions? Might tell you something. I
use p9p venti on FreeBSD for my plan9 installs with no trouble so far.

One more suggestion is to look at the data on the wire and compare
with a working venti.

@ 2014-01-22 18:32   ` Grant Mather
From: Grant Mather @ 2014-01-22 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 10:48:59PM -0800, Bakul Shah wrote:
> On Jan 13, 2014, at 3:59 PM, Grant Mather <hcaulfield57@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I partitioned the disk using fdisk to create one large OpenBSD
> > partition, and then created two paritions with disklabel, one for arenas
> > and one for isect. I followed the wiki page for setting up venti, and
> > have been able to get it working on Plan 9 and other OSes, but not
> > OpenBSD.
>
> One suggestion is to use normal files for venti and see if that works.
>
> > Using plan9port-20120508 that is provided with OpenBSD seems to have
> > venti working properly on the system, but it does not work across the
> > network, when trying to connect with vac/unvac to the server with a
> > different OS, I invariably get "vtversion: bad format in version
> > string".
> >
> > Using the most up to date plan9port-20140107, I get the same vtversion
> > string when connecting from other OSes, and venti doesn't seem to even
> > work on the server, I in turn get "vac: could not connect to server:
> > Connection refused".
>
> Have you tried diffing the two versions? Might tell you something. I
> use p9p venti on FreeBSD for my plan9 installs with no trouble so far.
>
> One more suggestion is to look at the data on the wire and compare
> with a working venti.
>

> > Any help would be much appreciated it, I don't know what's going on.
> >
> > grm

It appears to work fine with normal files, and I actually did manage to
get it to work with disk partitions, however I noticed two strange
behaviors. 1) when using vac on the OpenBSD machine it would not
recursively vac' directories, however it did work properly over the net
on Plan 9. 2) However, after reboot I got the same error message and it
no longer worked, even locally on the OpenBSD computer.

I tried diffing them, and the only differences were in VTMaxLumpSize, I
dunno if it makes any difference, regardless neither the 2014 or the
2012 version worked, so I guess I'm out of luck.