* RE: [9fans] bitsy uvlong & suspend are fine, thanks.
@ 2002-10-28 17:26 Stephen Parker
From: Stephen Parker @ 2002-10-28 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '9fans@cse.psu.edu'

It is I who also has a non-suspending bitsy.  My bootloader is
2.18.45.

stephen

[-- Attachment #2: Re: [9fans] bitsy uvlong & suspend are fine, thanks. --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 954 bytes --]

From: Axel Belinfante <Axel.Belinfante@cs.utwente.nl>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] bitsy uvlong & suspend are fine, thanks.
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:00:50 -0000

Any idea what (other) effects it would have I would downgrade to
a boot loader version that is close(r) to yours?

I recall that someone else (I'm sorry, forgot your name) mentioned
that suspend/resume never worked.
Question for you and others who also have suspend/resume problems:
do you also have a ``recent'' boot loader?

Axel.

@ 2002-10-29  8:34 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-10-29  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It'd be nice if there was a Plan 9 boot loader so that we didn't have
> to contend with the high rate of change in the Linux world.  (And the
> answer to the obvious next question is: no.)

boot loader hacking is no fun.  Make a mistake and your bitsy would
become a nice piece paperweight.

The real fix would be to make suspend work with newer boot loaders,
although I'd prefer then to keep it working with previous ones too (and I
don't know if that's feasible).

But in any case, considering that if you run Plan 9 on the bitsy you
won't run anything else there, I think it's reasonable if you just
have to use an old boot loader.

I've checked it, and a bitsy running Plan 9 runs out of battery
while suspended for more than one day.  The same happens to linux.
(Linux makes the battery keep up a few hours more, but in the end, you
have to charge the bitsy once a day).  I think that's the real
problem.

* Re: [9fans] bitsy uvlong & suspend are fine, thanks.
@ 2002-10-28 17:20 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-10-28 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Regarding the downgrade, I don't know what other effects it
> might have. You might look at http://handhelds.org/feeds/bootldr/CHANGELOG.

It'd be nice if there was a Plan 9 boot loader so that we didn't have
to contend with the high rate of change in the Linux world.  (And the
answer to the obvious next question is: no.)

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] bitsy uvlong & suspend are fine, thanks.
@ 2002-10-28 16:12 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-10-28 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-10-28 16:00 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-10-28 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-10-28 15:54 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-10-28 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-10-28 14:32 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-10-28 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Your boot loader is newer than mine. Mine is a 2.14 something.
> Thus I think it has to be that, your bitsy was an H3630, right?

yes. it's one of those that have 32 instead of 16 Mb flash rom.
(don't know whether that might make a difference)

> I'll take a look at your boot loader to see if I find out anything.

Thanks!

Axel.

* Re: [9fans] bitsy uvlong & suspend are fine, thanks.
@ 2002-10-28 14:18 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-10-28 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Your boot loader is newer than mine. Mine is a 2.14 something.
Thus I think it has to be that, your bitsy was an H3630, right?
I'll take a look at your boot loader to see if I find out anything.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3147 bytes --]

From: Axel Belinfante <Axel.Belinfante@cs.utwente.nl>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:18:32 +0100

> > I'm wondering why your kernel suspend/resumes for you but not
> > for me. Different hardware? Or could different bootloader
> > versions also play a role?
>
> Did you try after a hard reset w/o the dual sleeve plugged in?

yes, and it did not make a change.
(assuming that by hard reset you mean: using the on-off
switch `hidden' under the small sliding door at the bottom)

> I never tried suspending with a dual sleeve (Have  a one-slot pcmcia)
> so suspend might not work with that.

I tried with and without sleeve

> The bootloader is also an issue. Which version are you using?
> Mine is rather old now.

2.18.01

Axel.

* Re: [9fans] bitsy uvlong & suspend are fine, thanks.
@ 2002-10-28 10:18 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-10-28 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > I'm wondering why your kernel suspend/resumes for you but not
> > for me. Different hardware? Or could different bootloader
> > versions also play a role?
>
> Did you try after a hard reset w/o the dual sleeve plugged in?

yes, and it did not make a change.
(assuming that by hard reset you mean: using the on-off
switch `hidden' under the small sliding door at the bottom)

> I never tried suspending with a dual sleeve (Have  a one-slot pcmcia)
> so suspend might not work with that.

I tried with and without sleeve

> The bootloader is also an issue. Which version are you using?
> Mine is rather old now.

2.18.01

Axel.

* Re: [9fans] bitsy uvlong & suspend are fine, thanks.
@ 2002-10-28  8:47 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-10-28  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-10-26  9:24 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-10-26  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Unfortunately, your 9bitsy gives me the same results as I had.
Have less time than I hoped; no time to compile,
only diff-ed your sources with mine , and (quick glance) did
not see many differences (aprt from my hacking).

@ 2002-10-24  8:13 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-10-24  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

	It seems that I had a bad .a5 file that did not get regenerated
when I did the mk install.  After removing all the .a5 files and
compiling it all again, the bitsy sources compiled and worked fine.

I have regenerated the tar ball in the web.  Now I'm sure that (at
least for my H3630) the current version of the sources manage to
suspend/resume the bitsy.  The ram is kept refreshed while in suspend
mode, of course.

The tar ball now includes an /arm/9bitsy binary, freshly compiled from
the corresponding sources also in the tar.