* [9fans] remote usb?
@ 2009-12-04 21:43 Tim Newsham
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Tim Newsham @ 2009-12-04 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Does remote USB make sense?  Would it be possible to boot
up a plan9 system on one machine, export its usb device to
another machine and run usbd there and have the second machine
make use of any usb device attached to the first machine?
Would the latency be too high?

Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | thenewsh.blogspot.com

* Re: [9fans] remote usb?
@ 2009-12-04 21:48 ` Don Bailey
From: Don Bailey @ 2009-12-04 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

What kind of USB device are you considering whose data can't be exported.
i.e. why not export the FS on the USB flash drive? I have a feeling you're
going for something else here, though. Perhaps USB audio or something
without persistent storage.

@ 2009-12-04 22:15 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2009-12-04 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Would the latency be too high?

my experience is similar to Erik's.  as distance grows it's better to
deal with a higher abstraction.  there's less chatter and so not as
affected by latency.

* Re: [9fans] remote usb?
@ 2009-12-05  1:21 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2009-12-05  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

For what it's worth:
VirtualBox has   USB over RDP.
I have no experience with this, though.

Axel.

@ 2009-12-04 22:11 Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-12-04 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

usbd is part of the play.
it has to enumerate and recover from
errors. appart from that you can
export #u, but don't use another
usbd on it. one is enough.

just start your driver.
if you can, it may be better to
export the driver fs instead.

On 04/12/2009, at 22:48, newsham@lava.net wrote:

> Does remote USB make sense? Would it be possible to boot
> up a plan9 system on one machine, export its usb device to
> another machine and run usbd there and have the second machine
> make use of any usb device attached to the first machine?
> Would the latency be too high?
>
> Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | thenewsh.blogspot.com
>
> [/mail/box/nemo/msgs/200912/290]

* Re: [9fans] remote usb?
       [not found] <<Pine.BSI.4.64.0912041141570.13404@malasada.lava.net>
@ 2009-12-04 22:00 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-12-04 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Dec  4 16:45:34 EST 2009, newsham@lava.net wrote:
> Does remote USB make sense?  Would it be possible to boot
> up a plan9 system on one machine, export its usb device to
> another machine and run usbd there and have the second machine
> make use of any usb device attached to the first machine?
> Would the latency be too high?

it might make sense to do the opposite.  import namespace onto
the machine with the usb and run usbd there.  (e.g. for a keyboard-like
device.)  for a disk-like device, it may make sense to import the
disk  at the disk level.

i've done both with aoe, importing '#æ' and '#l'.  there are interesting
tradeoffs that depend an awful lot on what you're tunneling via 9p.

- erik