* [9fans] Spanish hyphenation in troff
@ 2013-01-18 12:59 trebol
From: trebol @ 2013-01-18 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello all,
Anyone know how to get spanish hyphenation in troff?

Thanks in advance,
trebol.

* Re: [9fans] Spanish hyphenation in troff
@ 2013-01-18 13:12 ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2013-01-18 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Find a hyphen.tex you like and bind it at the proper place before running troff:

bind /sys/lib/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/sphyphen.tex
/sys/lib/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/hyphen.tex

G.

* [9fans] Spanish hyphenation in troff
@ 2013-01-18 14:14   ` trebol
From: trebol @ 2013-01-18 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks Gorka, but I've tried that with
ftp.ctan.org/pub/tex/language/hyphenation/eshyph.tex
and all I've is:

assertion failed: file n8.c:543

I'm new to plan9, so I'm a little lost.  Sorry if this is an
obvious/common task.

@ 2013-01-18 15:17     ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2013-01-18 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 3:14 PM, trebol <trebol55555@yahoo.es> wrote:
> Thanks Gorka, but I've tried that with
> ftp.ctan.org/pub/tex/language/hyphenation/eshyph.tex
> and all I've is:
>
> assertion failed: file n8.c:543
>
> I'm new to plan9, so I'm a little lost.  Sorry if this is an
> obvious/common task.
>
> trebol.

Looking at the version on our tree, there was a fix for this, but to
me it seems wrong.
The function trieindex (and maybe the whole implementation of hyphenation) looks
ascii-centric and most probably needs reimplementation. I may be
wrong, though, as
I am unfamiliar with the code.

G.

* Re: [9fans] Spanish hyphenation in troff
@ 2013-01-18 15:22       ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2013-01-18 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

In other words, forget my previous recommendation, hyphenation only seems
to work for ascii.
Or, alternatively, this is an opportunity for you to reimplement n8.c
for UTF8 support.

G.

* Re: [9fans] Spanish hyphenation in troff
@ 2013-01-18 16:21         ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2013-01-18 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 04:22:21PM +0100, Gorka Guardiola wrote:
> In other words, forget my previous recommendation, hyphenation only seems
> to work for ascii.
> Or, alternatively, this is an opportunity for you to reimplement n8.c
> for UTF8 support.

Or alternatively, to use the TeX hyphen stuff with TeX since TeX is
available for Plan9:

http://www.kergis.com/en/kertex.html

                      http://www.kergis.com/

* Re: [9fans] Spanish hyphenation in troff
@ 2013-01-18 18:22       ` Nemo
From: Nemo @ 2013-01-18 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: Nemo

Yes, it was a hack I made, but a hack anyway.

In most cases it worked fine, but it's not a real fix, so I didn't say anything in this thread.

@ 2013-01-18 18:43           ` trebol
From: trebol @ 2013-01-18 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> In other words, forget my previous recommendation, hyphenation only seems
> to work for ascii.

This is a shame... I was very happy with the multilingual point in the OS's design.

> Or, alternatively, this is an opportunity for you to reimplement n8.c
> for UTF8 support.

I'm just starting to learn C (In fact to learn programming!), but this
could be my first mission.

> Or alternatively, to use the TeX hyphen stuff with TeX since TeX is
> available for Plan9:
>
> http://www.kergis.com/en/kertex.html

I'm familiar with kerTeX, but I would like to work with troff.

Anyone has compiled heirloom troff with APE?
And thanks for your responses,

@ 2013-01-18 21:10             ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2013-01-18 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 18 January 2013 18:43, trebol <trebol55555@yahoo.es> wrote:
> This is a shame... I was very happy with the multilingual point in the OS's design.

troff predated the multilingual part by a few decades;
its parent roff was even older.