From: Lloyd Caldwell <lmc@xmission.com>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: [9fans] plan9.ini bootfile= syntax for 9pxeload client?
Date: Thu,  9 Dec 2010 08:32:21 -0700	[thread overview]

Trying to boot a plan9 diskless terminal (pc) over network. The boot
"master" is a combined cpu/fs/auth server.

dhcp/tftp works to set diskless terminal ethernet ip, fs and auth ip
addresses and downloads 9pxeload to diskless terminal.  9pxeload then
fails with an exception.

I suspect it fails because I haven't told 9pxeload how to load what
kernel.  I have created the /cfg/pxe/<etheraddr> file but have yet to
guess the correct incantation of syntax to specify the kernel location.

each man page (boot, booting, plan9.ini, 9load) directs the reader to
another page that also doesn't specify how to network load a kernel
on a pc.  I think the bootfile= option of the /cfg/pxe/<etheraddr>
plan9.ini file would be where to specify the kernel?

I have included ether0=type=i82557 in this file so 9pxeload knows
which device to use.

The 9load man page says that the plan9.ini file attribute
bootfile=device!file or bootfile=device!partition!file specifies what
kernel to load. However it says if you specify ether0 for device,
'file' is determined by /lib/ndb which just loaded 9pxeload, which is
pretty circular logic (imho).  I've tried bootfile=manual to no avail.

An example of a /cfg/pxe/<etheraddr> plan9.ini diskless boot file
would be great or the actual syntax to successfully induce 9pxeload
to suck down a kernel and run it would be even better.

couldn't find this info on the list either, sorry if this has been
previously resolved.

Lloyd Caldwell
lmc@xmission.com