* [9fans] GSoC 2014 update
@ 2014-04-28 21:39 Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2014-04-28 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, plan9-gsoc

Folks:
	A quick update for everyone on what's going on with GSoC. A week ago today, our final selections were announced. This year, we've got five students working on the following projects:

	Pedro L Coutin-Portuondo will be working on audio for
	the Raspberry Pi, over its multiple interfaces. Steve Stallion
	will be mentoring, with Dave Eckhardt as backup.

	Yan Cui will be implementing, integrating, and testing
	alternative locking mechanisms. Charles Forsyth will be
	mentoring, with Dave Eckhardt as backup.

	Alexandre Esteves will be doing further work on the
	browser-based Dis interpreter written in Dart. Charles
	Forsyth will be mentoring; I'll be backup.

	David Hoskin will me doing further work on the HTML 5
	devdraw implementation and related bits. Erik Quanstrom
	will be mentoring; I'll be backup.

	Jessica Yu will be writing a multi-queue scheduler for
	multiprocessor Plan 9 systems. Erik Quanstrom will be
	mentoring, with Steve Stallion as backup.

	Congratulations to all the students who're participating. We're now in the "community bonding" period, so get comfortable and acquainted. Thanks, also, to all the students who applied; we had more interesting proposals than slots to fill, and overall I think this round of proposals had the highest average quality of any year's GSoC I've seen. Even if we couldn't find a spot for you in GSoC, we do hope you'll stick around.

	Further updates will mostly happen only on the plan9-gsoc Google group, but we'll make sure everyone checks in here a few times during the summer. If you want to follow along more closely, feel free to join that group.

Your friendly neighborhood GSoC org admin,
Anthony