JavaScript is not java... Sent from my iPhone On May 17, 2011, at 11:46 AM, a z wrote: > Ugh, I have to comment because to my noobness this sounds like an easy project, and an easy project to over-think. Teach a java app how to draw boxes like rio, and plug it in. Right? > > I would love to use Rio on a touchscreen, unfortunately I need to eat. So if I get that eating thing figured out Ill download Android SDK and make it start reading data from what rio listens to and attaching markup to it. > > On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 12:18 PM, erik quanstrom wrote: > > What the hell? They're not saying, "Screw running on hardware, let's > > just boot the whole system in Javascript under a browser", they want > > to let you connect to your Plan 9 system from a web browser, because > > you can find a Javascript-supporting web browser anywhere (except Plan > > 9) these days. > > > > As fgb would say, relax. No "Bell Labs people" have even commented on > > this thread, and if anybody wants to implement this, it's their own > > damn business. Writing a drawterm replacement in Javascript is not > > going to "downgrade" Plan 9. In fact, it would be rather useful--now > > when you're away from home, you can use somebody else's computer to > > connect to your CPU server and read your mail, for example. > > relax, man. i understand peter's perspective. and i don't think > it's unreasonable. just think about how dbus has downgraded linux. > > on the other hand, i think a js virtual machine (mips would be nicer > than x86) might be interesting. drawterm has always been a clever > hack. it would be nice to have emulated environment that's more > portable than 9vx and not tied to 32-bit x86. > > one would then be able to write applications for non-plan 9 users > in plan 9. clearly they will have a browser. > > not that i'm signing up or anything. :-) > > - erik > > > > > -- > ⎼⎺⎺├@┼␊├├≤-␍⎼␊▒␍:/␤⎺└␊/⎼␤⎺#