* [9fans] Sorry, I'm late (Christmas, New Year)
@ 2022-01-03 17:58 sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2022-01-03 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello dear community,

some time ago I started writing some kinda christmas mail to the
community.  Not some "special christmas edition", more like an annual
reminder, invitation for looking back, and (of course) as a wish to
all members to have good days with their families and friends.

However, this year is different.  My mail server didn't have enough
storage to even receive mails and I didn't have much time to fix it -
until now.  I now switched from a WORM+cache to a fsmain CWFS setup,
so it's fine for another few years of saving files.  I'll certainly
miss my dump sometimes, but that's just how it is, maybe I'll try some
venti some day.

Anyways, back to topic:

Usually, I'd start the mail with christmas greetings to all who
celebrate, as well as to all who don't celebrate.  I'd wish you all a
nice end of the year, and hope for a good start of the next year 2022.
However, I'm late, so I can just hope that you all celebrated well and
had a good start into the new year.

I'd like to look back at the last year, maybe mention (and smile) at
certain events we encountered.  I also invite all of you to share more
stories and your personal highlights.  On-topic or off-topic, I think
it doesn't matter and you know very well when you spam the list with
irrelevant stuff.

THE YEAR 2021

Last year started with a hassle.  There was a small internet storm
about a certain jpg file and people began to hate 9front for something
that it never was.  As bad as it seemed, it feels like today nothing
of that is left and everything is back to normal.[1]

However, it left its traces: mycroftiv officially "ended" the live
part of the 9gridchan project.  Many of its services are read-only
today and the gridchat is offline.  Some services are still live and
people continue to use them, some users are asking for ANTS patches
every now and then.

Good bye 9gridchan, Hello 9p.zone!

Because of these events, we wanted to continue something of the spirit
of 9gridchan.  Therefore some individuals and 9gridchan users started
9p.zone, which wants to be some public registry with services like
chat and maybe more.  I tried adding some (experimental) public auth
server with an additional 9front network for people to join.  9p.zone
continues to live on and people are joining the chat and hanging out
together.

These were roughly the events of January, but from my perspective
that's almost everything that happened.

Well, almost.  Let's not forget the official announcement of the Plan
9 foundation.  Many people didn't know what exactly will happen, and
to be honest, I'm still not sure about that, but they're here and
organized the GSoC, which is a good thing, isn't it?  Also they got
the rights for the original Plan 9 sources and built a small museum
about it.  Welcome Plan 9 foundation.

For me, large parts of the following months were shaped by not having
much time for community and Plan 9 in general.  "My memory of 2021 is
fading" and I can only roughly summarize SOME events.  Feel free to
add more larger milestones I'm missing.

In July, 9front released a new version "Community vs Infrastructure".
Normally I wouldn't mention 9front releases, but this one changed the
whole source control to git.  Ori's git was good enough to be
integrated and after a few sysupdates, all future sysupdates don't
need python/hg anymore!  I believe this is a huge step forward and it
makes many things easier.

Throughout the year we welcomed many new users and community members.
Although I was missing many opportunities to actually meet all of you
I noticed many new nick names and it's great to see the community
grow.

And that's basically everything I can remember right now.  I
personally ended the year reading through the A64 manual as well as
figuring out how the Pinephone works and the 9front source code is
organized, fighting blindly with u-boot; as well as fixing my mail
server in the last few days[2].  I hope to be able to hang out more
with many of you and dedicate more time to helping new users and
writing documentation.

I also hope we can organize some European/German Plan 9 meetup this
year when the pandemic is (hopefully) over.  Stay healthy and may God
bless you!

As mentioned before I encourage you to share your personal highlights,
especially Plan 9 related ones.

sirjofri

---
1. If you don't know what I'm talking about: Don't care too much. I
   don't think it's worth it.
2. Yes, I'm trying to port 9front to the Pinephone.

* Re: [9fans] Sorry, I'm late (Christmas, New Year)
@ 2022-01-04  0:09 ` Philip Silva via 9fans
From: Philip Silva via 9fans @ 2022-01-04  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

also from me merry Christmas and happy New Year! I think the Plan 9 Bootcamp from smj which happened also in 2021 is really great. That makes it much easier to really get started doing interesting things despite 9front already being surprisingly well documented and easy to install. Although I eventually managed to setup 9pi and 9legacy on qemu thanks to the Plan 9 Desktop Guide. Also everything around Shithub is really great and that Go has stayed compatible with 9front. Hopefully the systems will keep having a common subset since this makes copying code much easier!

Greetings, Philip

* Re: [9fans] Sorry, I'm late (Christmas, New Year)
@ 2022-01-04  6:45 ` vic.thacker
From: vic.thacker @ 2022-01-04  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leimy2k via 9fans

On Tue, Jan 4, 2022, at 02:58, sirjofri wrote:
[snip]

> As mentioned before I encourage you to share your personal highlights,
> especially Plan 9 related ones.

[Looking back]
Some notable items in 2021 include, but are not limited to:
- Significant progress of Zig (ziglang) development on Plan 9
- Advances in Harvey-OS development
- Resurrection of the 'Tokyo Inferno / Plan 9 Users Group' on Plan 9 (Fourth Edition)
- Plan 9 (Fourth Edition) documentation project in-flight

[Looking forward]
There is an upcoming Plan 9 related presentation on ZIG SHOWTIME (https://zig.show).
Subject: Zig On Plan9
Presenter: G_W1
Date: Sunday, 9th of January, 2022
Time: 16:30 Z/UTC,  10:30am CST,   17:30pm CET,  22:00pm IST, 01:30am JST (Monday)

-- Vic