From: "Leonardo Valencia" <leov_plan9@mephisto.cotse.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Help with authentication
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 18:07:16 -0400	[thread overview]

Greetings Plan9 fans, I have spent a big amount of time trying to get
a diskless terminal working with my auth/fs/cpu server (one machine).
Following the directions in the wiki pages plus a lot of research on
this list I am able now to boot the machine through ether0 (using a
9pc kernel), it then asks about the root and I use the tcp method (and
it works fine). Then I am presented with a user prompt, and I put a
valid user that exists in the authentication server (auth/status on
that user returns good information).

Up to this point everything seems fine, the problem is that the
terminal does not ask me about a password at all, and the whole
process continues (rio starts fine). Everytime seems to be correct, I
am even at the local directory of the user, but I don't have any
permissions to write at all.

Looking at /dev/hostowner I can see that the user name was accepted,
yet it seems that my privileges are only the ones of "none". This is
very weird.

On the auth server things seems to work fine, the servers is listening
on the right ports, I can even do an /auth/login to my test user (as
bootes) and then it prompts for password and works fine. When I do
netstat I can see that a port for ticket was opened, so I am really at
 a loss here of what is happening.

I would really appreciate any insights and suggestions to solve this
problem.

Regards,

-Leonardo Valencia