From: "John E. Barham" <john_e_barham@hotmail.com>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Cc: "Joel Salomon" <joelcsalomon@excite.com>
Subject: Re: [9fans] ATI Xpert 98 video weirdness
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 23:57:15 -0800	[thread overview]

"Joel Salomon" <joelcsalomon@excite.com> wrote in message
news:ec836bd9.0203171952.69ab2889@posting.google.com...
> john e barham@hotmail.com (John E. Barham) wrote:
> > Well, I bought an "ATI Xpert 98 AGP X2" video card and have managed to
> > install Plan9. FWIW, the chip itself says "RAGE Mobility-L" although
> > I'm using it in a Dell deskstop.
> Sound like it was a 'white box' graphics card.  I have one of those, (
> the same ATI XPERT 98 etc.) & I'm pretty satisfied with it.

I've actually given up on this particular card since it was acting up even
on Windows (colors bleeding after the monitor went to sleep and woke back
up).  Not sure what to blame (the card seemed to work fine on a separate
Win2k box) but my Win98 install is already fragile enough that I don't want
to mess w/ it too much.

> > However, the display is messed up w/ left-hand side of the screen
> > repeated and the right side consequently falling off the right-hand side
> > of the screen.  Can I fiddle w/ VGADB to fix this?  Or do I have to
> > "upgrade" my video card yet again?
> I had a similar problem for a time, it's more likely an improper
> selection of monitor in plan9.ini than anything wrong with the video
> card.  Does standard 640x480 work?

No, I tried that resolution & still got the left-hand side repeating
problem.

> Hope this helps,
> Joel

Thanks for trying!

Seems I have to up my budget.  Any recommendations on more contemporary
cards that are known to work w/ Plan9?  Russ recommended the Diamond Stealth
III S540 but that too seems to be in short supply.

Pity the scope of the MS enquiry can't be expanded to investigate Windows'
monopoly on device drivers...

    John