* [9fans] upcoming plan 9
@ 2001-09-25 21:09 anothy
From: anothy @ 2001-09-25 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

presotto wrote:
// Sorry for the long message.

are you kidding? long message quite welcomed! the more we know
about what to expect from near-future plan 9 releases, the better.
please, keep up both the good work and the long messages!

// Rsc is doing a lot of it from MIT...

i thought rsc was at harvard. typo, or did that change?

the actual content is quite exciting. IPv6 will be nice, but maybe more
for bragging rights (for now) than practicality. i mean, there's not a
very long list of places i can't get to because i don't support IPv6.

the security changes are very interesting. can you tell us (or me, if
nobody else is interested) more? releasing the new man pages was a
great introduction to the 9p2000 changes; could something like
that be done here? is it far enough along for that to be reasonable?
-α.

* Re: [9fans] upcoming plan 9
@ 2001-09-25 21:20 ` Sam Ducksworth
From: Sam Ducksworth @ 2001-09-25 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> // Sorry for the long message.
>
> are you kidding? long message quite welcomed! the more we know
> about what to expect from near-future plan 9 releases, the better.
>
> the security changes are very interesting. can you tell us (or me, if
> nobody else is interested) more? releasing the new man pages was a
> great introduction to the 9p2000 changes; could something like
> that be done here? is it far enough along for that to be reasonable?

yes please tell us more when/if you can.

--sam

* Re: [9fans] upcoming plan 9
@ 2001-09-25 23:17 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-09-25 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We're writing man pages now, I'll send them out as soon as we're
done.

* Re: [9fans] upcoming plan 9
@ 2001-09-25 21:21 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-09-25 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i thought rsc was at harvard. typo, or did that change?

i graduated.  now i'm a grad student at mit.

> the security changes are very interesting. can you tell us (or me, if
> nobody else is interested) more? releasing the new man pages was a
> great introduction to the 9p2000 changes; could something like
> that be done here? is it far enough along for that to be reasonable?

the details of the auth changes are still settling.
i think it's safe to say that we're sure about what
presotto wrote, but the interfaces will still change
a bit before we're ready for public viewing.

russ