* [9fans] setting up replica.
@ 2004-10-11  7:48 Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2004-10-11  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,  I'm trying to set up replica so that I can pull and push
between several clients and a master repository.  I read through
the manuals and understand (more or less) what is required in
the way of a replica file.  What I'm less sure about are the
log, proto and db files that the replica file references.  Are
these files things I have to manually configure (at first)
or are there tools for generating their contents?

Anyone have a simple explanation on setting this thing up (havent
found any so far in 9fans archive)?  If not, any manuals I
should read beyond the obvious ones?

Tim N.

* Re: [9fans] setting up replica.
@ 2004-10-11 11:04 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2004-10-11 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

A the log and db files must exist (IE you must touch(1) them)
but their contents is maintained by the replica tools.

The proto file describes which files/dirs under the replica
clientroot/serverroot you want to be replicated. You must write
this yourself, though it is fully documented, see proto(2).

As you want to replicate between many machines you might be better
off with nemo's repl which was published on here on 9fans recently,
repl appears to be a peer-to-peer rather than client-server system,
though I don't know any other differences (over to you Capt'n ?)

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] setting up replica.
@ 2004-10-11 19:55   ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2004-10-11 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> A the log and db files must exist (IE you must touch(1) them)
> but their contents is maintained by the replica tools.
>
> The proto file describes which files/dirs under the replica
> clientroot/serverroot you want to be replicated. You must write
> this yourself, though it is fully documented, see proto(2).

Thanks.  It appears I have things working now (at least, I
can do pulls successfully).  By the way, what is the client
proto file for?  I am currently living without one.

> As you want to replicate between many machines you might be better
> off with nemo's repl which was published on here on 9fans recently,
> repl appears to be a peer-to-peer rather than client-server system,
> though I don't know any other differences (over to you Capt'n ?)

I think p9's replica is what I want...  Its for a source repository
that is shared between several developers.

> -Steve

Tim N.