From: Tim Newsham <newsham@lava.net>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Venti security in view of SHA-1 exploit
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 10:14:11 -1000	[thread overview]

> But the question is should we, not could we.

The attacks I can think of:
   - attacker with access to venti anticipates a particular block
     will be stored in the future.  He burns cycles and finds a
     collision and stores his corrupt block first.  Later you
     store your block and when you fetch the file you stored
     one of the blocks is bad.
   - a malicious venti server targets some stored blocks and
     burns cycles to replace them with bad blocks.
   - a man-in-the-middle sees a block go buy and targets it for
     corruption.  He burns cycles and finds a collision.  Next
     time the block is requested he injects the bad block.

All of this assumes the attacker gets to choose which block
to cause a collision on.  I havent followed the previous MD5
work, does anyone know if this is the case?  If the attack
is limited to just finding any two blocks that collide then
neither of these attacks would be viable.

In the case of SHA1 the scant information released so far
indicates its still a 2^69 attack.  That's a LOT of operations.

It sounds to me like the need to switch from SHA1 is not
pressing right now, especially since the details of the
attack have not yet been published.

What scares me a little though is that some people are
recommending dropping the "collision-proof" requirements
of hashes.  If that were to happen I wonder what the implications
would be for any hash-addressable storage systems.

> Paul

disclaimer: I'm a security guy, but definitely no crypto expert.
Tim N.