* [9fans] Introduction of a New 9fan from Toronto, Canada
@ 2010-04-05 22:55 Scott Sullivan
From: Scott Sullivan @ 2010-04-05 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello 9fans,

My name is Scott Sullivan and I'd like to introduce myself and seek out
other 9fans in the Greater Toronto Area.

I first learned of Plan 9 back in 2007 and took a cursory glance over
the system and a couple of the introductory papers and was fascinated.

Since then I've spent considerable time running and maintaining my own
personal network of Linux Desktops and Servers. I'm active involved in
the Toronto Linux Users Group and at several conferences that have been
in the area.

In the recent weeks I felt compelled to reexamine Plan 9 in the detail
it deserves. I've read through all of the Plan 9 papers and have
successfully setup a stand alone Plan 9 system on an old IBM T-20
Thinkpad of mine.

Any Tips, suggestions and experiences in regards to where to focus my
exploration next would be appreciated.

Thanks,
--
Scott Sullivan
Toronto ON, Canada

* Re: [9fans] Introduction of a New 9fan from Toronto, Canada
@ 2010-04-05 22:59 ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2010-04-05 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Read the source for the programs and the system, and experiment with
them at will. It´s fun.

@ 2010-04-06  0:27   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2010-04-06  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Nemo is too modest, what he really meant was that you should take a
look at this:

http://plan9.lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf

and then experiment at will :)

you will hardly find a better resource for delving into Plan 9.

* Re: [9fans] Introduction of a New 9fan from Toronto, Canada
@ 2010-04-06  0:38     ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2010-04-06  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 06:27:56PM -0600, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
> Nemo is too modest, what he really meant was that you should take a
> look at this:
>
> http://plan9.lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf
>
> and then experiment at will :)
>
> you will hardly find a better resource for delving into Plan 9.
Don't forget ``Notes on the Plan 9 3rd edition Kernel source'':

http://plan9.lsub.org/who/nemo/9.pdf
--
I am a man who does not exist for others.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 205 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Introduction of a New 9fan from Toronto, Canada
@ 2010-04-06  3:02     ` Scott Sullivan
From: Scott Sullivan @ 2010-04-06  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 04/05/2010 08:27 PM, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
> Nemo is too modest, what he really meant was that you should take a
> look at this:
>
> http://plan9.lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf
>
> and then experiment at will :)
>
> you will hardly find a better resource for delving into Plan 9.

Wow... It's a book! I'm so glad I have an OLPC XO-1 at my disposal as it
does make a great E-reader.

Also, Kudos to
http://gsoc.cat-v.org/projects/OLP9C/blog/

If there is still any progress towards this, I'm happy to do tests on mine.

--
Scott Sullivan

* Re: [9fans] Introduction of a New 9fan from Toronto, Canada
@ 2010-04-07 14:21       ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2010-04-07 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Also, Kudos to
> http://gsoc.cat-v.org/projects/OLP9C/blog/
>
> If there is still any progress towards this, I'm happy to do tests on mine.

I've played around a bit with it and gotten a little further.
Check out the 9fans archives for my various posts.  Basically
I have it booting using a forth script from ofw, using a new
console, and I have made some progress on getting usb working
(it works when I netboot, but not when I boot from local media).
Big missing pieces are draw device and networking.

Files are at
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/x/9/olpc/
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/x/9/olpc-2010feb/

Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | thenewsh.blogspot.com