* [9fans] HELP AGAIN
@ 2001-04-10  3:53 Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997
From: Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997 @ 2001-04-10  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Ok, when booting the cpu server after screwing up the checksum we
encounter this.  The checksum gets screwed, we enter the password for
bootes, auth id and domain.  Thein we get
	init: starting /bin/rc
	/sys/log/cron: rc: can't open

Then the propmt appears, but you can't type anything in at all, almost
like its frozen.  The only command recognized is ctrl-alt-delete.  Does
anyone know what going on??  Could it be an error when we compiled the CPU
kernel?  When we compiled the kernel it died, so we restarted and compiled
again.

We need help, anything is appreciated
Thanks in advance

* Re: [9fans] HELP AGAIN
@ 2001-04-10  4:01 ` Andrey A Mirtchovski
From: Andrey A Mirtchovski @ 2001-04-10  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

have you forgotten to create the directories for your cpu-server user?

"rc: can't open comes" usually when i try to login to a machine with user
bootes (i use the default username for cpu servers) on which I have
forgotten to create the user directory (/usr/bootes in my case) or forgotten
to run /sys/lib/newuser as per the documentation..

hope that helps...

andrey

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Dave Iafrate - CSCI/F1997 wrote:

> Ok, when booting the cpu server after screwing up the checksum we
> encounter this.  The checksum gets screwed, we enter the password for
> bootes, auth id and domain.  Thein we get
> 	init: starting /bin/rc
> 	/sys/log/cron: rc: can't open
>
> Then the propmt appears, but you can't type anything in at all, almost
> like its frozen.  The only command recognized is ctrl-alt-delete.  Does
> anyone know what going on??  Could it be an error when we compiled the CPU
> kernel?  When we compiled the kernel it died, so we restarted and compiled
> again.
>
> We need help, anything is appreciated
> Thanks in advance

* Re: [9fans] HELP AGAIN
@ 2001-04-10 11:40 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-04-10 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

having a /usr/bootes or doing rc /sys/lib/newuser for it isn't necessary
to run a cpu server system correctly.

the /sys/log/cron either wasn't created by the installation or
has a mode that the cpu server running as bootes can't write.
mine is

% ls -l /sys/log/cron
a-rw-rw-rw- M 4 sys sys 14791759 Apr 10 12:34 /sys/log/cron

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2835 bytes --]

To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Subject: Re: [9fans] HELP AGAIN
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 22:01:30 -0600 (CST)