From: Matthew Haas <wedge@lightlink.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] problems installing the plan9 distribution on fileserver
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 22:15:36 -0500	[thread overview]

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Dan Cross wrote:

> I'm a little surprised your du -a /root | grep inst didn't see
> /root/dist/replica/inst; that's on sources, but maybe it's not making
> it into the installation logs or something.  Anyway, I'd do a pull, and
> if /dist/replica/inst doesn't exist, copy it off of sources by hand.
> Then you can do:

 So, if I read this correctly:

> 	9fs sources

 mount the sources.cs.bell-labs.com namespace onto my /n/sources ...

> 	bind /n/sources/plan9 /n/dist

 make it so the plan9 distribution appears in /n/dist ...

> 	srv $FILESERVER
> 	mount -c /srv/$FILESERVER /n/inst

 mount the fileserver namespace onto /n/inst

> 	replica/pull -v /dist/replica/inst
>
> Which will populate /n/inst with the current version of the system from

 ?? I don't have a /dist/replica/inst, but if I did... would this
accomplish the task of installing the plan9 distribution onto the
fileserver?

 I see above you mention I may have to copy it from sources.. I'll
investigate this after a good night's rest.

> sources.  You might want to wait a while though; rsc is pushing out
> some changes to namespace and some other stuff that (I don't think)
> have hit sources yet, but which will be backwards incompatible.  It's
> worth it to wait so you avoid the incompatibility.

 Define "a while"... tonight? a couple of days? I just finished a pull and
got a lot of new files... I'll give it another look in the morning.

 If I have to I can eventually rebuild everything as I am still
experimenting, but hopefully I can get it to a state to play with limbo
and some distributed programming (implement the travelling salesperson
problem). Any pointers on distributed programming in Plan 9?

 Thank you very much for your reply! It has helped to clarify a lot in
regards to exploring Plan 9.

---
 Matthew Haas           Squirrel's Law #209203923: "Thou shalt ignoreth
 Corning/Geneseo, NY       all RAM specifications, they're noo scottish"