From: Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Cc: hangar18@einstein.ssz.com
Subject: Re: [9fans] Re: micro vs monolithic kernels
Date: Mon,  9 Apr 2001 20:44:09 -0500	[thread overview]

To be accurate Russ, I wasn't complaining. Simply stating the reality of
the situation.

And, as for 'complaining'. I don't complain, I either remove the irritant
or fix it.

I am working on it via 'Hangar 18' and the half dozen laptops I've now
gone through trying to get it to work (on hardware it's supposed to work
on mind you). Now I'm down to trying to recover some of the 486's I've got
laying around here because the other dozen machines are all busy doing
something constructive (or isn't supported, not that I'd replace my
AmigaDos machines in the first place). ISA EIDE controllers are a bitch to
find in any sort of quantity. Hangar 18 has about 18 subscribers and at
least three of them have systems up and running. I put up the 'Hangar 18
Policies and Process' (tentative) last nite for review. If all goes well
we should have some sort of public 'community' (for lack of a better word)
by the end of the month.

And we don't have Bell Labs paying for our time and resources (like
$400 a month for a dedicated ISDN w/ a C-class address space to use)...

The reality is that simply because you don't know of it, doesn't mean it
isn't.

And as to 'it's hard', and you people are supposed to be world class
programmers?

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Russ Cox wrote:

> i think we all agree that it'd be great
> if plan 9 were easier to install, and if
> the vga support were better.
>
> we're not disagreeing with you, but writing an os
> installation program is difficult and time-consuming.
> i spent last may doing almost nothing else.
> given another month of work, i bet an even better
> one could be written, one that handles cpu servers
> and file servers and so on.  but i haven't had time, and
> apparently neither has anyone else, inside bell labs
> or out.
>
> if you're going to do something about it,
> great.  if not, then we're not much better off
> than we were before you complained.

       To speak algebraically, Mr. M. is execrable, but Mr. G. is
       (x+1)-ecrable.
                                         Edgar Allan Poe

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com