* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 (in)security
@ 2001-07-02  1:38 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-07-02  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Some says we need up to 60k chars for Japanese.   However, I must say
I don't know such huge number of Kanji which eceeds my memory capacity.
Most of 64k chars may be in very limited use such in some ancient documents
etc.  :-)  If "computer" must deal with all of those documents, yes, we may have
to have 64k chars...

The 16 bit limits will meet problem, in practical, to write person's name, some
of which are named using wrong Kanji when all Japanese were permitted
to have their own family name about 150 years ago.  ^_^  Now, we cannot say
it's wrong anymore. :-)

Sorry, this is off topic.

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2477 bytes --]

From: "Boyd Roberts" <boyd@fr.inter.net>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Plan 9 (in)security
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 23:08:26 +0200

> Actually that is highly debatable -- it depends on the requirement.
> For a "rune" or wchar_t, since 16 bits are not enough to provide
> the required functionality, 32 bits is the obvious choice

iirc chinese (mandarin) has some 60k chars.  not that they're
all used, but for completness's sake yer gonna need 32 bits.

btw: to survive in japan you need ~2k chars, but most newspapers
     get by with ~6k.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Plan 9 (in)security
@ 2001-07-02 13:28 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-07-02 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>          Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
>>
>>                                    Ludwig Wittgenstein

Anderson:  Ah .... I would only like to offer Professor Stone the observation that
language is not the only level of human communication, and perhaps not the most
important level.  Whereof we cannot speak, thereof we are by no means silent.
Verbal language is a technical refinement of our capacity for communication,
rather than the fons et origo of that capacity.  The likelihood
is that language develops in an ad hoc way, so there is no reason to expect
its development to be logical.  [A thought strikes him.]  The importance of
language is overrated.  It allows me and Professor Stone to show
off a bit, and it is very useful for communicating detail -- but the
important truths are simple and monolithic.  The essentials of a given
situation speak for themselves, and language is as capable of obscuring the
truth as of revealing it.  ...
	``Professional Foul'', Tom Stoppard.