* [9fans] oddity
@ 2000-07-19 14:33 sah
From: sah @ 2000-07-19 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

I've my fileserver and auth/cpu server up now, and am attempting to boot
terminals.  The terminal sets to boot from ether0, finds its kernel from
the network, and starts to boot.  It then hangs.

So I placed a multitude of print statements in, tracking down the hanging
portion of the code.  I know this sounds crazy, but it hangs randomly in
different parts of the reset ethernet card code.  Has anyone previously
encountered this and can you give me a trail to head down?

Sam

Sam Hopkins
sah@borf.com

"... let us tame the savageness of man, and make
	gentle the life of this world."

* Re: [9fans] oddity
@ 2000-07-20  2:36 ` Eric Dorman
From: Eric Dorman @ 2000-07-20  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've my fileserver and auth/cpu server up now, and am attempting to boot
> terminals.  The terminal sets to boot from ether0, finds its kernel from
> the network, and starts to boot.  It then hangs.
[xx]
this sounds like terminal hardware weirdness.  i get something similar
when my ne2000-clone ethernet is somehow screwed up or has the
wrong irq.

can the terminals run the distribution standalone?

> Sam

--eric

* Re: [9fans] oddity
@ 2000-07-20 11:28   ` sah
From: sah @ 2000-07-20 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, the standalone runs fine.  Since the 3c509 was questioned, I put
both i82559's in the test terminal and the auth/cpu server.  The
fileserver is using an i82557.  Still, the same game.

Sam

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Eric Dorman wrote:

> > I've my fileserver and auth/cpu server up now, and am attempting to boot
> > terminals.  The terminal sets to boot from ether0, finds its kernel from
> > the network, and starts to boot.  It then hangs.
> [xx]
> this sounds like terminal hardware weirdness.  i get something similar
> when my ne2000-clone ethernet is somehow screwed up or has the
> wrong irq.
>
> can the terminals run the distribution standalone?
>
> > Sam
>
> --eric

* RE: [9fans] oddity
@ 2000-07-19 18:15 ` Peter LeBlond
From: Peter LeBlond @ 2000-07-19 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

No, the 3c509b EtherLink. We had also tried initially with an Intel 82559
card but with similar results.

pdl@borf.com

From: Russ Cox @ 2000-07-19 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sah, 9fans