* [9fans] i say, this is interesting
@ 2003-06-27 13:21 Sam
From: Sam @ 2003-06-27 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I use rob's ``plumb to web'' rule posted
a while back.  Today I plumbed and got
a really neat result: all of my terminals
started ignoring every other character
input.

I would have found this to be a great
nuisance if it hadn't eventually gone away.
I played with it a bit, and I think I
know the causes for both the start and
stop of the feature.

A while back I upgraded from Opera 6.12
to 7.11.  I guess it's better, though I
don't really perceive any additional
functionality and it's doggedly slower.
In any event, apparently -newpage no
longer works properly because instead
of opening a new tab, it kicks off a new
opera.

The aforementioned terminal feature
persists until a second or so after
I close the newly opened opera window,
indicating the problem might be due
to the blocked ssh connection.  I do
believe that under 6.12 ``opera -newpage''
returned immediately, having delivered
the open page command to the running
instance.

Now, is this funny a bug in source or
could it be in my setup?  I have the most
amazing ability to step on things
inadvertantly causing updates to not
get applied, so the latter wouldn't
suprise me.

Cheers,

Sam

* Re: [9fans] i say, this is interesting
@ 2003-06-27 15:11   ` Sam
From: Sam @ 2003-06-27 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

<sigh>

I am a boob.  -newpage works fine, Opera just
isn't smart enough to figure out that when
I log in as sah I really want him to send
the open to the opera running as root.  I can't
blame him.

Doubly boobalicious, I should have seen that
redirecting the stdin for plumb start's ssh would
have suppressed this.

Thanks,

@ 2003-06-27 15:13 ` Aki M Nyrhinen
From: Aki M Nyrhinen @ 2003-06-27 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 09:21:14AM -0400, Sam wrote:
> I use rob's ``plumb to web'' rule posted
> a while back.  Today I plumbed and got
> a really neat result: all of my terminals
> started ignoring every other character
> input.

You can get rid of this nice feature by giving
/dev/null as standard input for ssh (ie. ssh foo 'whatever'
</dev/null). I don't want to make guesses why exactly every
second character is lost (other's know, for sure), but it
seems this isn't neccessarily a bug at all.

	-Aki

* Re: [9fans] i say, this is interesting
@ 2003-06-27 15:22 ` rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2003-06-27 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i've seen that too, and i think you're right that it's a blocked ssh.
the obvious fix would be to redirect the stdin of the ssh, but i haven't
tried it.  maybe i'll do that now.  just put
	</dev/null
on the end of the 'start' line.

in the meantime, thanks for the heads up about opera -newpage.
it would be a real shame if there isn't a fix. perhaps -newtab?
i learned about newpage by reading the usage message, i think.

* Re: [9fans] i say, this is interesting
@ 2003-06-27 15:24   ` rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2003-06-27 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I don't want to make guesses why exactly every
> second character is lost (other's know, for sure), but it
> seems this isn't neccessarily a bug at all.

oh, that's easy.  two processes reading the same file,
each one byte at a time.  what would be the result of
your kernel implementation under those circumstances?
ours just gates each process through the queue, and
the result is alternate characters going to alternate
processes.

* Re: [9fans] i say, this is interesting
@ 2003-06-27 17:26     ` Aki M Nyrhinen
From: Aki M Nyrhinen @ 2003-06-27 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 08:24:30AM -0700, rob pike, esq. wrote:
> > I don't want to make guesses why exactly every
> > second character is lost (other's know, for sure), but it
> > seems this isn't neccessarily a bug at all.
> oh, that's easy.  two processes reading the same file,
> each one byte at a time.  what would be the result of
> your kernel implementation under those circumstances?

An impossible to find non-deterministic malfunction in the future,
of course.

> ours just gates each process through the queue, and
> the result is alternate characters going to alternate
> processes.

Now that you said it, it's very obvious because the keyboard
gives characters one at a time.

Is there a reason why the plumber does not close(0)?

	-Aki

* Re: [9fans] i say, this is interesting
@ 2003-06-27 17:47       ` rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2003-06-27 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Is there a reason why the plumber does not close(0)?

not that i can think of. it probably should, although i don't
remember how it builds the subprocess.

-rob