* [9fans] Which nVidia cards?
@ 2001-05-01  8:38 Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-05-01  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is there support for nVidia display controllers yet in the
Plan 9 distribution (including updates)?  AGP or PCI?
Supposing I wanted to build a new Plan 9 platform using the
best supported card, which one(s) should I get?  Thanks..

* Re: [9fans] Which nVidia cards?
@ 2001-05-01 13:34 ` paurea
From: paurea @ 2001-05-01 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Douglas A. Gwyn writes:
 > From: "Douglas A. Gwyn" <DAGwyn@null.net>
 > Subject: [9fans] Which nVidia cards?
 > Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 08:38:20 GMT
 >
 > Is there support for nVidia display controllers yet in the
 > Plan 9 distribution (including updates)?  AGP or PCI?
 > Supposing I wanted to build a new Plan 9 platform using the
 > best supported card, which one(s) should I get?  Thanks..

Look at the archives for the drivers. I dont think they have
been included in the official release. Nicholas Waples posted them
at http://members.optusnet.com.au/~nwaples/
I also aplied a patch for cursor management by jmk.

I think I also posted the complete algorithm somewhere. For my card,
Diamond Viper 550 PCI it works fine, with some minor problems when
changing the resolution. There have been other cards with other
 TNT chips which have been reported to work too.
--
                 Saludos,
                         Gorka

"Curiosity sKilled the cat"
--
    /"\
    \ /    ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail

* Re: [9fans] Which nVidia cards?
@ 2001-05-03  2:41   ` Nicholas Waples
From: Nicholas Waples @ 2001-05-03  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 1 May 2001 paurea@dei.inf.uc3m.es wrote:

> Douglas A. Gwyn writes:
>  > From: "Douglas A. Gwyn" <DAGwyn@null.net>
>  > Subject: [9fans] Which nVidia cards?
>  > Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 08:38:20 GMT
>  >
>  > Is there support for nVidia display controllers yet in the
>  > Plan 9 distribution (including updates)?  AGP or PCI?
>  > Supposing I wanted to build a new Plan 9 platform using the
>  > best supported card, which one(s) should I get?  Thanks..
>
> Look at the archives for the drivers. I dont think they have
> been included in the official release. Nicholas Waples posted them
> at http://members.optusnet.com.au/~nwaples/
> I also aplied a patch for cursor management by jmk.

 Its all included in the latest update now, except you still need to add
to /sys/src/9/pc/pc[disk|flop]

vganvidia	+cur

if you want it included in the kernel.
It works fine for my TNT, and a quick test on a Geforce2 MX it appeared to
work. Hopefully it should work on cards from TNT -> Geforce2.
 Note the driver doesnt do hw acceleration, so if you want a usable > 8bpp
display then an S3 (Virge or Savage 4) or Mach64 based card would be
better.

Nick.