From: Jim Choate <ravage@einstein.ssz.com>
To: plan9 <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Cc: <hangar18-general@open-forge.org>
Subject: [9fans] Re: CDROM boot failed, how can i do?
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 18:28:08 -0500	[thread overview]

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, andrey mirtchovski wrote:

> because 9load cannot find your cdrom drive. as others suggested:
>
> 	- try switching its place -- if it's on the second ide slot move it to
> 	  the first, if on the first -- move it to the second
> 	- try it without the hard drive in
> 	- try a floppy disk
>
> experiment.

I agree with the "experiment" part, my suggestion would be a lot more
organized with your approach than others would suggest. I'd say -never-
put your CD drive as a slave on a EIDE (or IDE for that matter), unless
you're sure you'll -never- want to boot from it. I'd suggest strongly that
if you put your CD on master and your HD on the slave and it still doesn't
see the CD drive then get another CD drive. There are some problems with
some drives (I've got a pile of about four drives that don't work). I just
replaced the drive in saucer.ssz.com with a DVD/CD burner and it worked like
a champ (the 40G drive helped a lot too).

> the documentation is on the plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist web page, see
> Papers, Man pages and Wiki.

As an aside, Rob and I have been working on a new install doc that makes a
lot more sense than the stuff on the Bell Labs site, too much work
scattered out over too many documents.

http://einstein.ssz.com/hangar18/Plan9Intro.txt

This doc is -not- finished so don't expect it to solve all your problems,
yet ;) However, you can expect to see new sections added at least weekly
as Rob and I get windows of op to move forward.

      We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I
      are going to spend the rest of our lives.

                              Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

      ravage@ssz.com                            jchoate@open-forge.org
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.org