* Re: [9fans] Errors..
@ 2002-05-21 11:51 ` Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2002-05-21 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 21 May 2002 jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> On Tue May 21 10:54:22 EDT 2002, ishwar@pali.cps.cmich.edu wrote:
> > BTW, I tried the system on a dual Celeron ABIT-BP6 motherboard.
> > As soon as second cpu is activated, the following error is printed
> > repeatedly:
> >
> > cpu1: apic error 0x0000008
> >
> > Looks like the mp kernel has problems?
>
> No, your hardware has problems. Were Celerons ever officially
> able to run MP? A quick google of 'abit bp6 motherboard smp problem'
> tells you a lot.

Probably. The guy has been running Linux on that board for a while.

-ishwar

* Re: [9fans] Errors..
@ 2002-05-21 15:04 jmk
From: jmk @ 2002-05-21 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-05-21 11:09 ` Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2002-05-21 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I replaced the disk and in single cpu operation the io/error has not
been reported yet. I have activated the other cpu too!

On Mon, 20 May 2002 jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> On Sun May 19 09:35:20 EDT 2002, ishwar@pali.cps.cmich.edu wrote:
> >
> > I am runing a standalone auth/cpu server on dual PIII box.
> >
> > The console is full of errors of type

> > command 30
> > data 80020cb0 limit 80020eb0 dlen 8192 status 0 error 0
> > lba 1253968 -> 123968, count 16 => 16 (16)
> > wrenwrite failed: i/o error

> > The system is usable though. I understand that error pertains to
> > hard disk, could it be sign of a bad disk (I do not have a replacement
> > disk at present)?
> >
> > -ishwar
>
> In the above I'm assuming you mistyped or the console mangled
> 	lba 1253968 -> 123968, count 16 => 16 (16)
> The 2nd lba number should be the same as the first if the count (16)
> is the same.
>
> Anyway, it's complaining that a write of 16 blocks at lba 1253968
> didn't complete after 30 seconds so the driver aborted it. The command
> is retried by the driver with DMA, RWM turned off, and only returns
> the error if that 2nd attempt fails.
>
> Do you have the same problems if you run with only one processor
> (*nomp=1 in plan9.ini)?

* Re: [9fans] Errors..
@ 2002-05-20 11:50 jmk
From: jmk @ 2002-05-20 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun May 19 09:35:20 EDT 2002, ishwar@pali.cps.cmich.edu wrote:

> I am runing a standalone auth/cpu server on dual PIII box.
>
> The console is full of errors of type

> command 30
> data 80020cb0 limit 80020eb0 dlen 8192 status 0 error 0
> lba 1253968 -> 123968, count 16 => 16 (16)
> wrenwrite failed: i/o error

> The system is usable though. I understand that error pertains to
> hard disk, could it be sign of a bad disk (I do not have a replacement
> disk at present)?
>
> -ishwar

In the above I'm assuming you mistyped or the console mangled
	lba 1253968 -> 123968, count 16 => 16 (16)
The 2nd lba number should be the same as the first if the count (16)
is the same.

Anyway, it's complaining that a write of 16 blocks at lba 1253968
didn't complete after 30 seconds so the driver aborted it. The command
is retried by the driver with DMA, RWM turned off, and only returns
the error if that 2nd attempt fails.

Do you have the same problems if you run with only one processor
(*nomp=1 in plan9.ini)?

* [9fans] Errors..
@ 2002-05-19  9:49 Ish Rattan