From: andrey mirtchovski <mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Start of Tcl Port to Plan 9
Date: Fri,  4 Apr 2003 09:03:53 -0700	[thread overview]

That's what I meant -- ported programs do not have to be on the same
server as the OS sources. This would allow access for more people with less
probability for mischief :)

There's another issue with having it on sources besides not having access to
it -- nobody except the people at bell-labs decides what gets in and what
doesn't. The stuff that gets in extra/ usually becomes static and rarely
gets modified.

Example: there's no point in putting xscreensaver ported hacks on sources,
but there's also no point in emailing 9fans every time I've made a change to
them or added a new one. Same goes for checking all p9-related bookmarks to
see if there's anything new/changed...

BSD's ports is a perfect (and well working -- I miss it in Linux already)
example of what I want to see -- the operating system is separate, is
modified only by qualified personnel and can exist on its own, while ports
is a large collection of pretty much everything that someone found useful
and brought along. The people who deal with ports are not necessarily at the
same level as the people who write the core of the OS.

andrey