* [9fans] is there a replica limit?
@ 2003-07-01  1:05 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-07-01  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is there a limit to the number of pull-s one can do from
sources.cs.bell-labs.com? If there is, I must've reached it since my
replica/pull simply returns without issuing any errors or warnings...

I'm paranoid because I've modified slightly /dist/replica/network to mount
fossil (/srv/boot /n/boot) instead of the default kfs and I'm worried that
something may be wrong with what I've done...

Also, I know chgrp's man page says that I need to be in 'allow' mode to
change the owner of a file, but I feel slightly uncomfortable having all
those files in the main tree owned by my update user (I've removed myself
as the update user -- again too paranoid that I may do 'mk' in /sys/src/cmd
without having bound my private src/ before it...). Besides, replica/pull
complains a lot because it tries to chgrp -u sys all new files...

What do you think?  Should files be neatly 'chgrp -u sys'-ed? Or should I do
a pull only in a fossil -A mode (equivalent to disk/kfscmd allow)?

andrey

* Re: [9fans] is there a replica limit?
@ 2003-07-01  2:19 ` okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-07-01  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm paranoid because I've modified slightly /dist/replica/network to mount
> fossil (/srv/boot /n/boot) instead of the default kfs and I'm worried that
> something may be wrong with what I've done...

I hesitate to apply replica direct to real file server/fossil. ☺

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] is there a replica limit?
@ 2003-07-01  2:29   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-07-01  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp wrote:

> I hesitate to apply replica direct to real file server/fossil. ☺

I've been doing it to my kfs server for 8 months without a hitch (I trust
both Russ' testing process and bell-labs developers enough for that) on a
machine with a single user -- me. None of my development stuff is touchable
by replica at all, too.

Now with fossil I managed to overwrite cpurc and termrc (two servers with
the same name, wrong rio window, etc :) but I just copied the old ones from
last night's venti snap.

With fossil and a mirrored disk I feel much more comfortable doing daily
updates, and much less paranoid of loosing my data.

andrey