From: andrey mirtchovski <mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] now for something completely devfs :)
Date: Wed,  9 Jul 2003 10:01:45 -0600	[thread overview]

forgot to add that at the end I did something like:

	for (i in nvram 9fat isect fossil arenas) {
		dd -if /dev/sdC0/$i -of /dev/sdD0/$i -bs 8192
		if(cmp /dev/sdC0/$i /dev/sdD0/$i) { end=success }
		if not{ end=failure }
		echo $end $i | mail mirtchov@cpsc
	}

naturally the only one that was a failure was fossil, since things like cron
write to /sys/log every 10 minutes (and 'dd' takes longer than that).

hopefully devfs knows how to miraculously fix that, otherwise I don't see
how I can ever have two identical mirrored disks...

of course, all this was before I found out that 9fat shouldn't be mirrored..

:)

ps: OT note -- it's interesting how trust is distributed among various
operating systems, at least for me:

	- i'd never trust a linux system on an open network. i'm very paranoid
	  about this box here, run firewalls and what have you
	- i'm fine with a freebsd box on the network -- it's much less chaotic,
	  and i know that once fixed, the set of utilities that open ports to
	  the internet will not change
	- i'm fine with a plan9 'out-of-the-box' install on the internet.. it
	  instills trust in me that so far nobody has broken. i can just leave
	  the box and never worry about it.

on the other hand:

	- i couldn't care less if the disk on this linux box crashed.. i know i
	  have important information on it, but somehow i can't be bothered to
	  worry about backups
	- same data, but on freebsd -- I'd back that up several times a week,
	  i don't know why, just seems reasonable, since the setup on the box is
	  so nice and thorough and andrey-appeasing... it took time to arrive
	  there, i don't want to do it again...
	- plan9 -- here i'm paranoid, i can set up a file server in less than
	  half a day now, but I have so many personal scripts and modifications
      to the system, that losing them would feel like I'm completely
	  naked...

i'll go fix that 9fat partition now -- I keep a spare kfs disk just for that
purpose :)