* [9fans] help installing standalone cpu server
@ 2004-01-24  6:39 James Horey
From: James Horey @ 2004-01-24  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

I've been trying to follow the Wiki page on installing a standalone cpu
server. Everything is going smoothly except there is one message I am worried
about. After I reboot Plan 9 and boot into the 9pcauth kernel, I attempt to
authenticate "bootes" using:

auth/changeuser bootes

I type in my password and confirmation and answer 'yes' to 'assign Inferno/POP
secret'. However I get the message "changeuser: can't create user bootes:
access permission denied". I tried disk/kfscmd allow and then trying again,
but I get the same message. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-James Horey

* Re: [9fans] help installing standalone cpu server
@ 2004-01-24  7:15 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-01-24  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

most of the 'configuring a standalone cpu' concern a system running the kfs
file system, while all the latest installations run fossil.

i'll modify it tomorrow, but for if you're in a hurry here's a brief
way of doing it:

	- add the user that will own the cpu/auth/fossil server at the fossil
	  console (follow the fossilcons man page instructions)

	- tell fossil to listen on the 9fs port by editing its configuration and
	  saving it (see the 'setting up fossil' wiki page)

	- edit /rc/bin/cpurc and uncomment auth/keyfs as per the wiki
	  instructions, also uncomment the ifconfig line and edit it to make
	  sure the machine can come up with a usable ip address

	- compile a 9pcauth kernel (cd /sys/src/9/pc && mk 'CONF=pcauth'), put
	  it somewhere  where your plan9.ini can find it and edit plan9.ini to
	  boot that (possibly setting up a menu, so that you can go back to a safe
	  config if that fails, see the plan9.ini man page)

	- create a 1-block (512 byte) nvram partition on the hard drive, you
	  can borrow that from the swap one, name it nvram. use disk/prep for that

that's about it, I believe... you may have to move something in
/rc/bin/services.auth, but those things you can get from the wiki page...

what's important is to keep the old setup available in a bootmenu option
(plan9.ini man page) in case something breaks. unless you don't mind
reinstalling.

good news is -- once you set it up you don't have to worry about it ever
more ;)

andrey

@ 2004-01-24 21:33 ` James Horey
From: James Horey @ 2004-01-24 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Although I was able to resolve my previous problem about auth/changeuser, now
when I boot into the cpu kernel, I receive the message "rc (cpurc): null list
in concatenation" right before /bin/rc is started. Is this message a problem?
I will attach my cpurc if somebody needs it. Thanks

@ 2004-01-24 21:57   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-01-24 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you're referencing a variable that doesn't exist in the scope cpurc is in
(env).. perhaps $sysname:

	home% echo $sysname
	home
	home% echo $sysname^test
	hometest
	home% echo $sysnam

	home% echo $sysnam^test
	rc: null list in concatenation
	home%

andrey

@ 2004-01-25  4:20   ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2004-01-25  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Jan 23, 2004, at 11:15 PM, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
> 	- create a 1-block (512 byte) nvram partition on the hard drive, you
> 	  can borrow that from the swap one, name it nvram. use disk/prep for
> that

I went to create the nvram partition on the install that I just did,
and was pleasantly surprised to see that it was already created by the
default fossil install.

-Jack