* [9fans] fs tester?
@ 2004-05-20  9:02 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2004-05-20  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am after a little prog to test a new fileserver, ie.

	mkdir
	rmdir
	for (every combination of permissions)
		wstat
		stat
	open and read /write random chunks at random offsets
	etc.

Its easy to do, the problem is to be through enough and to check
all the combinations - perhaps someone has one already?

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] fs tester?
@ 2004-05-20 13:17 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-05-20 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Steve Simon wrote:

> Its easy to do, the problem is to be through enough and to check
> all the combinations - perhaps someone has one already?

I used fsx for v9fs and it's not bad -- it did let us catch some really
simple errors.

ron

* Re: [9fans] fs tester?
@ 2004-05-20 13:43   ` rog
From: rog @ 2004-05-20 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I used fsx for v9fs and it's not bad

fsx?

* Re: [9fans] fs tester?
@ 2004-05-20 16:16     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-05-20 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 20 May 2004 rog@vitanuova.com wrote:

> fsx?

it is a file system exerciser developed by NeXT. Apple released it a few
years ago. When run on many nfs servers out there, it blew up the server
or the client or both -- even nfs systems that had a pretty good
reputation such as the FreeBSD one.

It found errors in v9fs that I had not stumbled across in several years of
testing and use.

ron