* [9fans] The name of filesystem test tool
@ 2004-06-12  1:51 YAMANASHI Takeshi
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-06-12  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I remember that someone mentioned about a filesystem
integrity test tool, but I don't remember the name of the tool
nor who did.  So, could someone show me pointers, please?

My grepping 9fans-archive (since 2004-Jan) and googling did not
avail much to me.  Thank you.

* Re: [9fans] The name of filesystem test tool
@ 2004-06-12  1:56 ` Russ Cox
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-06-12  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I remember that someone mentioned about a filesystem
> integrity test tool, but I don't remember the name of the tool
> nor who did.  So, could someone show me pointers, please?

which file system?

* Re: [9fans] The name of filesystem test tool
@ 2004-06-12  2:04 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-06-12  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I remember that someone mentioned about a filesystem
> integrity test tool, but I don't remember the name of the tool
> nor who did.  So, could someone show me pointers, please?

For kfs, use kfscmd check.  See kfscmd(8).
For the WORM file server, use the "check" command.  See fs(8).
For fossil, use the new "check" command.  See fossilcons(8).

You are probably remembering fossil's flchk, which was a failed
experiment.  You can still use flchk, but the console command
is a lot easier to use and is safe to use on a running system.
(Flchk is not, since what it decides will be out of date by the time
you actually run the commands.)

Russ

* Re: [9fans] The name of filesystem test tool
@ 2004-06-12  2:06   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-06-12  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

may it's the f/s thrasher that ron mentioned?

* Re: [9fans] The name of filesystem test tool
@ 2004-06-12  2:09 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-06-12  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I remember that someone mentioned about a filesystem
> integrity test tool, but I don't remember the name of the tool
> nor who did.  So, could someone show me pointers, please?

steve simon started a thread called 'fs tester' on the 20th of may:

	http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&selm=9f3cccddf23caa6d42b68c7842fb2869%40snellwilcox.com

i didn't follow it completely so i have no idea whether there was any
software posted.

hth: andrey

* Re: [9fans] The name of filesystem test tool
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-06-12 21:28 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-06-12 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, YAMANASHI Takeshi wrote:

> I remember that someone mentioned about a filesystem
> integrity test tool, but I don't remember the name of the tool
> nor who did.  So, could someone show me pointers, please?

it is fsx, and I think I put it into the v9fs tree. We used it to test
v9fs and it was used to find problems with the open source NFS stacks
(linux, *bsd) etc.

ron

* Re: [9fans] The name of filesystem test tool
@ 2004-06-12 21:29   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-06-12 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Russ Cox wrote:

> > I remember that someone mentioned about a filesystem
> > integrity test tool, but I don't remember the name of the tool
> > nor who did.  So, could someone show me pointers, please?
>
> For kfs, use kfscmd check.  See kfscmd(8).
> For the WORM file server, use the "check" command.  See fs(8).
> For fossil, use the new "check" command.  See fossilcons(8).
>
> You are probably remembering fossil's flchk, which was a failed
> experiment.  You can still use flchk, but the console command
> is a lot easier to use and is safe to use on a running system.
> (Flchk is not, since what it decides will be out of date by the time
> you actually run the commands.)

Guess I misunderstood the use of the word 'integrity' here, ignore my last
message :-)

ron

* Re: [9fans] The name of filesystem test tool
@ 2004-06-14  8:53   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2004-06-14  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, poor choice of subject, an FS thasher is what I was after,
bowth Russ and Ron came up with usefull ideas.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] The name of filesystem test tool
@ 2004-06-12  2:12 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-06-12  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat Jun 12 10:56:34 JST 2004, Russ Cox wrote:
> > I remember that someone mentioned about a filesystem
> > integrity test tool, but I don't remember the name of the tool
> > nor who did.  So, could someone show me pointers, please?
>
> which file system?

Sorry for not giving clear details and using the word `integrity'
confusingly.  I only remember that the guy used the tool to test
a filesystem he was developing.  I don't remember whether it was
on Plan 9 nor linux.

Geoff sent me a tool called fsx privately
(and two versions of it!, thank you :), and I think this would be it.

I will use the tool to test a suspected RAID box
attached to a linux host.

My many thanks to you all.
--
Sincerely,