* [9fans] vncs this time..
@ 2002-12-24 17:02 Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2002-12-24 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I thought try the other way: vncserver on Plan 9 and client
on Linux.

vncs -d:1 (starts the server) Plan 9

vncviewer host:1 (Linux)
	  vncviewr: VNC server closed connection

message on Plan 9 box

	vncs: vncchal returned with error

Also, vncs man page talks about APOP passwrod for challenge/response:
1) What is APOP password?
2) I am having problems with challenge/response stuff on this machine
   under drawterm too -- could that be the reason for vnc-client
   failure?

-ishwar

* Re: [9fans] vncs this time..
@ 2002-12-24 23:46 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-12-24 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Also, vncs man page talks about APOP passwrod for challenge/response:
> 1) What is APOP password?

You have two passwords.  Your Plan 9 password is used
for Plan 9 protocols and is only stored as a DES key by
the auth server.  Your APOP password is used for a lot of
external protocols (including APOP).  The auth server
stores the actual password, so it can be used in ways
other than DES.  When you run passwd you get prompted
about your APOP password after your original password.

> 2) I am having problems with challenge/response stuff on this machine
>    under drawterm too -- could that be the reason for vnc-client
>    failure?

The challenge/response for drawterm uses your Plan 9 password
(it's a slightly Plan 9-specific protocol).  The challenge/response
for VNC uses your APOP password.  So the problems seem unrelated
except for the general "something is not quite right about your
auth setup".

Russ

* Re: [9fans] vncs this time..
@ 2002-12-25  1:01   ` Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2002-12-25  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Russ Cox wrote:

> The challenge/response for drawterm uses your Plan 9 password
> (it's a slightly Plan 9-specific protocol).  The challenge/response
> for VNC uses your APOP password.  So the problems seem unrelated
> except for the general "something is not quite right about your
> auth setup".

Agreed but I can't figure it out. I followed the wiki-page info
many times (3 to be precise), I get the same behavior. I can live
with it.

-ishwar