* [9fans] Plan 9 on top500.org
@ 2004-10-18 20:42 Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2004-10-18 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

let's make a deal.

If somebody gets me a working tg3 driver, and somebody else gets me a
working HPL for Plan 9, I will reboot a 256-node cluster I have here and
do the run, and report the result to top500.org.

The number will suck, as the network is gigE, but it will be a number
nonetheless.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on top500.org
@ 2004-10-18 20:55 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-10-18 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> let's make a deal.
>
> If somebody gets me a working tg3 driver, and somebody else gets me a
> working HPL for Plan 9, I will reboot a 256-node cluster I have here and
> do the run, and report the result to top500.org.
>
> The number will suck, as the network is gigE, but it will be a number
> nonetheless.
>
> ron

do you have the linpack code compiled for p9?  it'll be interesting to
see what happens if you compile it with dhog's gcc 3.0.

andrey

ps: i need both broadcom and syskonnect (3c2000, i believe) drivers to
run any of my gige-enabled motherboards :(

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on top500.org
@ 2004-10-18 20:57   ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2004-10-18 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, andrey mirtchovski wrote:

> do you have the linpack code compiled for p9?  it'll be interesting to
> see what happens if you compile it with dhog's gcc 3.0.

that code should be much less gcc-centric than most junk nowadays, so 8c
should work without much hassle. In theory.

I'm getting worn out on all the gcc-isms I keep seeing. But I keep my
sense of humor ready.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on top500.org
@ 2004-10-20 19:43 ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2004-10-20 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, YAMANASHI Takeshi wrote:

> tg3 driver seems to be doable.  But HPL... no idea at all. :(

ok, for those not familiar, I believe you can ftp it from top500.org, or
there are instructions there.

There's a lot of smart people on this list! surely somebody out there
would like to give this a shot. I'm going to run it on a machine that was
#67 last time around if you get the port done!

ron

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on top500.org
@ 2004-10-20  0:27 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-10-20  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Oct 19 05:43:52 JST 2004, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
> let's make a deal.
>
> If somebody gets me a working tg3 driver, and somebody else gets me a
> working HPL for Plan 9,

Hmm... It's a tough deal...
tg3 driver seems to be doable.  But HPL... no idea at all. :(