From: "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@lanl.gov>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] fun with cfs.
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:26:30 -0700	[thread overview]

I've been playing around with lib9p and then started looking at cfs. You
can do something with cfs that is kind of fun.

I can send patches if anyone wants them.

Basically, you rip all the caching out of cfs and you have a very nice
tutorial program for seeing how 9p works. Took about 15 mins. You end up
with cfs.c and (IIRC) stats.h or some such, so you get one .c file and you
can then:
./cfs -S -d il!yourhost

And you get this nice mountpoint, which you can cd to, ls, to things in
inside of .... all while watching the 9p traffic so you can see how it
works. Good fun.

It would be great for showing people how 9p works or for classes. Even
better is letting poor suffering students do the same thing with nfs, and
then with 9p; you really start to appreciate 9p if you've done a lot of
NFS (which I have ...).

Now here's where somebody tells me: that file system already exists, just
do x and y and z; so, if this is useless, well, I had fun anyway; if not,
then I'll send the c-diffs as they are very short.

thanks

ron