* [9fans] watch command
@ 2005-04-19  6:17 YAMANASHI Takeshi
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-04-19  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I read about "watch" command in the mpx paper (*) and thought
it's interesting.  The paper mentions the commandline:
	watch fig1.pic | pic | troff | proof
and the pipe line runs whenever fig1.pic is modified.
Does anyone have a similar program in his pocket?

(*) hget http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/doc/83/mpx.ps.gz | gunzip | page

I'm thinking of writing a file server (watchfs) which will serve:
  /n/watch/ctl
  /n/watch/data/a.c
  /n/watch/data/b.c

Whenever a.c and b.c are changed, a text will appear on the ctl file.
Thus, you can do something like:
	% while(){read /n/watch/ctl; mk}

How's this idea?

* Re: [9fans] watch command
@ 2005-04-19  6:37 ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2005-04-19  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Whenever a.c and b.c are changed, a text will appear on the ctl file.
> Thus, you can do something like:
> 	% while(){read /n/watch/ctl; mk}
>
> How's this idea?

I've heard a Japanese talked on automatic counting of craters, where
it can, probably, recognise the crater right(?), actually which is the
problem here.   By the way, he is a programmer probably, and not a
Planetary geologist, and had thought it might be usefull.   Is it usefull?
No.

In your example, are you going to have a huge list of files to be watched?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] watch command
@ 2005-04-19  8:35 ` Fco. J. Ballesteros
From: Fco. J. Ballesteros @ 2005-04-19  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This is how we do it.

   POLL(1)               Plan B — 3rd edition                POLL(1)

     NAME
          poll - poll files for changes

     SYNOPSIS
          poll [ -1 ] [ -i ival ] cmd file...

     DESCRIPTION
          Poll monitors the given files each ival seconds (one by
          default) and runs cmd when any of the files change. It uses
          fstat(2) to generate a single stat(5) request for each poll
          and file. If -1 is given, the program exits after the first
          change noticed; otherwise, it keeps on polling the files.

          The command is assumed to be at /bin and is executing using
          the list of files as arguments.

     SOURCE
          /sys/src/cmd/poll.c

     Page 1                Plan B User's Manual      (printed 4/19/05)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3182 bytes --]

From: YAMANASHI Takeshi <9.nashi@gmail.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] watch command
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:17:29 +0900

I read about "watch" command in the mpx paper (*) and thought
it's interesting.  The paper mentions the commandline:
	watch fig1.pic | pic | troff | proof
and the pipe line runs whenever fig1.pic is modified.
Does anyone have a similar program in his pocket?

(*) hget http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/doc/83/mpx.ps.gz | gunzip | page

I'm thinking of writing a file server (watchfs) which will serve:
  /n/watch/ctl
  /n/watch/data/a.c
  /n/watch/data/b.c

Whenever a.c and b.c are changed, a text will appear on the ctl file.
Thus, you can do something like:
	% while(){read /n/watch/ctl; mk}

How's this idea?

* Re: [SPAM] [9fans] watch command
@ 2005-04-19 12:03 ` vdharani
From: vdharani @ 2005-04-19 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I read about "watch" command in the mpx paper (*) and thought
> it's interesting.  The paper mentions the commandline:
> 	watch fig1.pic | pic | troff | proof
> and the pipe line runs whenever fig1.pic is modified.
> Does anyone have a similar program in his pocket?
>
> (*) hget http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/doc/83/mpx.ps.gz | gunzip | page
>

> I'm thinking of writing a file server (watchfs) which will serve:
>   /n/watch/ctl
>   /n/watch/data/a.c
>   /n/watch/data/b.c
>
> Whenever a.c and b.c are changed, a text will appear on the ctl file.
> Thus, you can do something like:
> 	% while(){read /n/watch/ctl; mk}

i dont think it will work.

let us say i just saved an intermediate version of a.c while doing a
bigger change. then the above script will kick mk process that is neither
needed nor useful. the same is the case when i save a.c but i need to
change 10 other files to reflect the change in all relevant files.

thanks
dharani

* Re: [SPAM] [9fans] watch command
@ 2005-04-19 14:52   ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2005-04-19 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 vdharani@infernopark.com wrote:

> > Whenever a.c and b.c are changed, a text will appear on the ctl file.
> > Thus, you can do something like:
> > 	% while(){read /n/watch/ctl; mk}
> >
> i dont think it will work.
>
> let us say i just saved an intermediate version of a.c while doing a
> bigger change. then the above script will kick mk process that is neither
> needed nor useful. the same is the case when i save a.c but i need to
> change 10 other files to reflect the change in all relevant files.

the specific example may not be useful but ... you have no idea how many
times people want this stuff.

But what about a file that the server can provide that provides info about
metadata changes, i.e. you are reading a
/srv/fsstatus
and as things change you get twstat messages?

ron

* Re: [SPAM] [9fans] watch command
@ 2005-04-19  6:47 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-04-19  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> let us say i just saved an intermediate version of a.c while doing a
> bigger change. then the above script will kick mk process that is neither
> needed nor useful.

sounds reasonable.  I wonder what was the experience in the original
watch command about intermediate modifications...

In my case, I might be going to just ignore the mk error messages
for such mk run. :)