From: Ray Amberg <ramberg@cs.ucr.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Network Configuration
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 15:36:24 -0800	[thread overview]

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for helping me get the Sis900-based ethernet card working on
my machine.  I'm sorry to bother again, but I've got a new problem trying
to get the machine configured to work on our network.  I've read through
the Network Configuration wiki, and while I learned a few things, some
things still remain cloudy (my networking knowledge is minimal too,
apologies).

I have a Belkin router, which is located at 10.50.50.1 on the LAN, and
whose computers start at 10.50.50.100.  There are a couple of other
computers, using Windows and Linux, and they are automatically assigned
IP addresses when they connect to the router.  I think this is another way
of saying the router has its own DHCP server.  On a query of one of the
Windows machines, I found that the Gateway, DHCP Server, and DNS server
were all 10.50.50.1, the address of the router.

Trying to make sense of the Network configuration wiki, I added the
following to my /lib/ndb/local file:

ip=10.50.50.104  ipsubmask=255.255.255.0
 	ipgw=10.50.50.1
 	dns=10.50.50.1

I manually put in 10.50.50.104, and have a feeling I shouldn't be doing
this.  In any case, the result was a failure.  The plan9 machine can ping
itself at 10.50.50.104, but can't ping 10.50.50.1.  DNS queries fail with
the error: dns: temporary failure.

I tried looking through previous 9fans posts for ways to configure a
simple connection to a router, unsuccessfully.

Would someone be so kind as to help me find a way to get the ethernet
card connected to the router, and hence, the internet?  Apologies again,
I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing.  Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,
Ray Amberg