* [9fans] could those of you who have students check this out for me?
@ 2001-06-09 12:16 Laura Creighton
From: Laura Creighton @ 2001-06-09 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: lac

I have discovered that today's computer science students, at least
some extremely good ones from here at any rate, think that algorithms
are a consumer good that you buy shrink-wrapped or something.  At any
rate, the idea of going to the math library, reading a math journal,
and writing code of whatever strikes your fancy, is an utterly
bizarre and strange thing to do.   We had better rock some minds then
if we want to have any cool algorithms to play with that we didn't make
ourselves.

Laura