From: Jerome Ibanes <jibanes@eskimo.com>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: [9fans] Plan 9 on a SunPCI card.
Date: Mon,  7 Apr 2008 21:13:01 -0700	[thread overview]

> I haven't found a way to "boot" this card from a cdrom using the plan9
> cdrom (3), even when such cdrom is directly attached to this card (please
> note that Debian boots fine from there, when a plan9 cdrom is inserted I
> get the famous "Operating System not found", although I haven't spent a
> lot of time investigating this issue the fact that Debian boots seems not
> to indicate a hardware issue).

This was an oversight from my part, I am now able to boot a plan 9 (or any
other) bootable cdrom.

> I was able, however to generate a diskimage from a plan 9 raw disk
> image (4), 9load starts "normally", but can not find an attached
> harddrive (it however displays booting options to be fd0 and ether0):
>   pcirouting: South bridge 1106, 3177 not found
> might be the issue. By looking at /sys/src/9/pc/pci.c it *seems* that
> making a disk image with:
>   { 0x1106, 0x3177, viaget, viaset },   /* Viatech VT8235 */
> would tremendously help. Do you think the lack of a recognized South
> bridge would prevent 9load to find an attached harddrive, or would 9load
> use INT13 to do so?

As I understand it, the fact that the South Bridge wasn't recognized
shouldn't prevent 9load for finding more boot devices, especially the
cdrom one. Recognizing the South Bridge shouldn't be a showstopper,
assuming the bios implementation is good, which is a fair assumption here.

Disabling DMA didn't help; but what appears to be confusing is that
/sys/src/boot/pc/sdata.c shows support for the 1106:0571 (please refer to
my previous post which includes the lspci output):

  /sys/src/boot/pc/sdata.c:
    case (0x0571<<16)|0x1106:	/* VIA 82C686 */

  lspci output:
    00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
    VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
    00:11.1 0101: 1106:0571 (rev 06) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])

Sincerely,
Jerome Ibanes