From: Matt <matt@proweb.co.uk>
To: "9fans@cse.psu.edu" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re:[9fans] povray on p9
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 08:39:03 +0000	[thread overview]

Excellent. I started my 3D career on Povray before moving to 3dstudio

http://www.hardlight.couk.com

I see from your render that it's capabilites have moved on some from the simple renderer I knew.

There are different approaches to distributed rendering. AFIK Povray renders by pixel so instead of having each cpu render a different frame you could use a scheduler and have each CPU render a different pixel of
the same frame. Slightly more bandwidth I think but it would reduce the rendering time of single frame work which would be excellent for rendering poster sized artwork for printing.

Another advantage would be that if you had one slow CPU in the farm or one that suddenly got busy during rendeing than you are only waiting on one pixel to be rendered and not the whole scene

It would alo make it easier for laying down to video with my digital video processor (PVR from www.dps.com) which needs the frames in order as I imagine most such systems do.

You are correct though, the world of 3D rendering and animation is fascinating and immersive, just ask Tom Duff 8-)

Matt