From: "Brian L. Stuart" <blstuart@bellsouth.net>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Re: Fun with sshsession
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 22:27:24 +0000	[thread overview]

On Thu, Dec 08, 2022 at 06:06:21PM -0600, Steven Stallion wrote:
> > I found another interesting wrinkle.  It appears this issue seems to
> > only affect diskless CPU servers.  I'm able to SSH successfully to my
> > auth and file servers.
>
> Mystery solved!  It turns out this was the same issue Cinap fixed in
> auth/as last year.  sshsession was inheriting the host owner factotum
> after capuse, which was leading to breakage on hosts other than the
> file server.

Steve,
I'm glad to hear you got it sorted out.  Now that our fall term is
over, I can come up for air.  But I didn't have much to add to
your search anyway.

About the only thing I've done with it since Geoff's clean-up
was recently adding some new key exchange algorithms since
OpenSSH no longer supports the original required KEX algorithms
out of the box.  The server side of things was always a little
goofy.  It does carry the fingerprints of being developed to
allow customers to ssh into appliances that didn't share an
auth server.  I never got around to doing much aimed at making
it natural for non-Plan 9 clients to log into a full Plan 9
environment with ssh.  There never seemed to be a lot of motivation
because drawterm seemed to provide a better interface.  The
main exception would be using sam -r from a non-Plan 9 system.

In the end, it ended up being a perfect example of an implementation
influenced by lots of "here's something cool that could be done
with it" ideas.  But then pretty much none of the cool capabilities
ever got used.  I do still use the client functionality a lot
from a Pi 400 running a slightly enhanced copy of Richard's
Pi image in the classroom talking to my BSD laptop and the
department's Linux cluster.

Not that any of that is relevant to the issue you ran into, but
it might help provide a little context to anyone wondering how
and why that implementation works the way it does.

BLS