* [9fans] sirjofri's Annual Christmas (and New-Year) Post
@ 2022-12-26  9:10 sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2022-12-26  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello my dear community, it's time for my annual christmas (and new-year) post!

This is for you, if you celebrate christmas or not, so please keep reading if you want.

The sad thing first, I wasn't as active as I wanted to be, so I don't really know what happened across all communities in-depth in the last year. For me personally it was quite a stressful year due to my job and the fact that I married in september. As some of you probably know, time is different if you have a partner; that's something I had to learn this year.

I also learned that I can have many (good) ideas, but I also don't have nearly as much time as I should have to invest in them. Therefore, not much code from my side, and kudos to all contributors!

Probably the only notable thing I achieved this year (that's also relevant to you) is the advent (pun intended) of drawterm-android in the fdroid store, again, combined with only little time to improve it.

I recognized a few new faces in the various community channels. Mostly on discord, but also on the mailing lists, as well as adventuresin9, who regularly posts new videos about lower level topics around Plan 9. Welcome to all of you guys!

I wish you all a very merry christmas, hopefully with your families or other persons that are close to you. I wish for you that you and your important people stay healthy in these weird times with covid and weather and war. I wish for you all that you can keep or achieve peace with your relatives, and that you can start the new year with peace and love and friendship.

Christmas is about god being with us, so may god be with you all and bless you!

sirjofri

* Re: [9fans] sirjofri's Annual Christmas (and New-Year) Post
@ 2022-12-26  9:41 ` Edward Partenie
From: Edward Partenie @ 2022-12-26  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone!
May I ask, what Discord community is this referring to? I tried various
invite links I could find through google but they were all expired. Thanks

On Mon, 26 Dec 2022 at 11:11 AM sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9fans@sirjofri.de>
wrote:

> Hello my dear community, it's time for my annual christmas (and new-year)
> post!
>
> This is for you, if you celebrate christmas or not, so please keep reading
> if you want.
>
> The sad thing first, I wasn't as active as I wanted to be, so I don't
> really know what happened across all communities in-depth in the last year.
> For me personally it was quite a stressful year due to my job and the fact
> that I married in september. As some of you probably know, time is
> different if you have a partner; that's something I had to learn this year.
>
> I also learned that I can have many (good) ideas, but I also don't have
> nearly as much time as I should have to invest in them. Therefore, not much
> code from my side, and kudos to all contributors!
>
> Probably the only notable thing I achieved this year (that's also relevant
> to you) is the advent (pun intended) of drawterm-android in the fdroid
> store, again, combined with only little time to improve it.
>
> I recognized a few new faces in the various community channels. Mostly on
> discord, but also on the mailing lists, as well as adventuresin9, who
> regularly posts new videos about lower level topics around Plan 9. Welcome
> to all of you guys!
>
> I wish you all a very merry christmas, hopefully with your families or
> other persons that are close to you. I wish for you that you and your
> important people stay healthy in these weird times with covid and weather
> and war. I wish for you all that you can keep or achieve peace with your
> relatives, and that you can start the new year with peace and love and
> friendship.
>
> Christmas is about god being with us, so may god be with you all and bless
> you!
>
> sirjofri

* Re: [9fans] discord invite link (was: sirjofri's Annual Christmas (and New-Year) Post)
@ 2022-12-26 10:03   ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2022-12-26 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

sure, here's a link that shouldn't expire: https://discord.gg/R8ra7QwNs3

It's the 9fans discord channel, which is probably not as official as it may sound.

@ 2022-12-26 11:10   ` Sergey Zhilkin
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2022-12-26 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone!

This year was really DARK (I'm writing this from russian speaking
community)
Lost friends, lost job and opportunity, BUT Christmas makes surprises.
I wish you ALL the best.

--
С наилучшими пожеланиями
Жилкин Сергей

* Re: [9fans] discord invite link (was: sirjofri's Annual Christmas (and New-Year) Post)
@ 2022-12-27  0:37     ` vic.thacker
From: vic.thacker @ 2022-12-27  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leimy2k via 9fans

The community might consider using GitHub Discussions as a forum provider instead.
https://docs.github.com/en/discussions/quickstart

GitHub Discussions might help keep discussions focused on contributions.

-- Vic

* Re: [9fans] discord invite link (was: sirjofri's Annual Christmas (and New-Year) Post)
@ 2022-12-27  4:17       ` adventures in9
From: adventures in9 @ 2022-12-27  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

A forum would be nice.

@ 2022-12-27 10:28         ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2022-12-27 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I dunno. Most focused discussions happen on the mailing lists anyway.

@ 2022-12-27 11:03       ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2022-12-27 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: vic.thacker

vic.thacker@fastmail.fm writes:

> The community might consider using GitHub Discussions as a forum provider instead.
> https://docs.github.com/en/discussions/quickstart
>
> GitHub Discussions might help keep discussions focused on contributions.

Relying on Github would not be a great idea.
https://sfconservancy.org/GiveUpGitHub/
Also related:
https://ghuntley.com/fracture/
https://isdotnetopen.com/

* Re: [9fans] discord invite link (was: sirjofri's Annual Christmas (and New-Year) Post)
@ 2022-12-28  3:02         ` vic.thacker
From: vic.thacker @ 2022-12-28  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csepp, leimy2k via 9fans

Dr. Strangedev or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love GitHub

--Vic

* Re: [9fans] discord invite link (was: sirjofri's Annual Christmas (and New-Year) Post)
@ 2022-12-28 16:34           ` Kurt H Maier via 9fans
From: Kurt H Maier via 9fans @ 2022-12-28 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, Dec 28, 2022 at 12:02:08PM +0900, vic.thacker@fastmail.fm wrote:

> Dr. Strangedev or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love GitHub
>
> --Vic

You should switch to GMail.

khm