* [9fans] Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-02-10  7:40 Anthony Sorace
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2021-02-10  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We are pleased to announce the creation of the Plan 9 Foundation.

The Foundation exists to promote and further the development of Plan 9 and related technologies for lightweight distributed systems.

More information can be found on our web site, http://p9f.org/. We've also brought up a new wiki, reachable on the web at http://p9f.org/wiki/welcome/ or over 9p at tcp!p9f.org!wiki.

As our first major activity, the Plan 9 Foundation will be coordinating Plan 9's application to (and, should we be accepted, participation in) Google's Summer of Code. That includes hosting the all-important Ideas Page for this year, as well as other supporting documentation; more on that in a separate email.

We'll also be coordinating the return of the International Workshop on Plan 9. Last year's efforts to bring IWP9 back were a big part of what led to the creation of the Foundation. It's still not clear when we'll be able to have an in-person conference responsibly, but we're eager to get there.

We want to make Plan 9 and all that surrounds it stronger, more accessible, and more useful for all. We know there's plenty going on already and we want to be clear that we're excited about that. We hope to add to that, provide some additional resources, and improve things for everyone using Plan 9 technology in their projects.

We're still getting started and have quite a bit to do before everything is running smoothly, but we're really excited for what the year's going to bring. 2021 is going to be great for Glenda.

Thank you for your time,

Geoff Collier
David du Colombier
Charles Forsyth
Paul Lalonde
Ron Minnich
Jeff Sickel
Anthony Sorace
Skip Tavakkolian

* [9fans] Re: Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-02-10  9:37 ` Anthony Martin
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Anthony Martin @ 2021-02-10  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Anthony Sorace <a@9srv.net> once said:
> Collier

Can *I* buy a vowel?
Not this one but another,
Here and on the site.

Cheers,
  Anthony

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-02-10 12:02 ` tlaronde
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: tlaronde @ 2021-02-10 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

On Tue, Feb 09, 2021 at 11:40:18PM -0800, Anthony Sorace wrote:
> We are pleased to announce the creation of the Plan 9 Foundation.
>
> The Foundation exists to promote and further the development of Plan 9 and related technologies for lightweight distributed systems.
>
> More information can be found on our web site, http://p9f.org/. We've also brought up a new wiki, reachable on the web at http://p9f.org/wiki/welcome/ or over 9p at tcp!p9f.org!wiki.
>
> As our first major activity, the Plan 9 Foundation will be coordinating Plan 9's application to (and, should we be accepted, participation in) Google's Summer of Code. That includes hosting the all-important Ideas Page for this year, as well as other supporting documentation; more on that in a separate email.

One suggestion: add a link for donations. I, for one, when I can't
provide code to software I'm interested in (even remotely), try at
least to give some money.

My 2 cts (it will be a little more if I donate),
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-02-10 13:06 ` Don A. Bailey
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Don A. Bailey @ 2021-02-10 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

How do we get involved in or become a member of the foundation?

> On Feb 10, 2021, at 2:41 AM, Anthony Sorace <a@9srv.net> wrote:
>
> We are pleased to announce the creation of the Plan 9 Foundation.
>
> The Foundation exists to promote and further the development of Plan 9 and related technologies for lightweight distributed systems.
>
> More information can be found on our web site, http://p9f.org/. We've also brought up a new wiki, reachable on the web at http://p9f.org/wiki/welcome/ or over 9p at tcp!p9f.org!wiki.
>
> As our first major activity, the Plan 9 Foundation will be coordinating Plan 9's application to (and, should we be accepted, participation in) Google's Summer of Code. That includes hosting the all-important Ideas Page for this year, as well as other supporting documentation; more on that in a separate email.
>
> We'll also be coordinating the return of the International Workshop on Plan 9. Last year's efforts to bring IWP9 back were a big part of what led to the creation of the Foundation. It's still not clear when we'll be able to have an in-person conference responsibly, but we're eager to get there.
>
> We want to make Plan 9 and all that surrounds it stronger, more accessible, and more useful for all. We know there's plenty going on already and we want to be clear that we're excited about that. We hope to add to that, provide some additional resources, and improve things for everyone using Plan 9 technology in their projects.
>
> We're still getting started and have quite a bit to do before everything is running smoothly, but we're really excited for what the year's going to bring. 2021 is going to be great for Glenda.
>
> Thank you for your time,
>
> Geoff Collier
> David du Colombier
> Charles Forsyth
> Paul Lalonde
> Ron Minnich
> Jeff Sickel
> Anthony Sorace
> Skip Tavakkolian

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-02-10 15:31   ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2021-02-10 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Thierry asked:
>
> One suggestion: add a link for donations. I, for one, when I can't
> provide code to software I'm interested in (even remotely), try at
> least to give some money.
> Don asked:
>
> How do we get involved in or become a member of the foundation?

Glad to hear there's interest!

We'll absolutely have ways for people to get involved (including financial support, for those inclined) soon, but there's still a bunch of stuff we have to get in order first.

Anthony

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-02-10 16:05     ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2021-02-10 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> How do we get involved in or become a member of the foundation?

I too am interested in supporting plan9 in any form I can.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-02-10 16:18       ` Marshall Conover
From: Marshall Conover @ 2021-02-10 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Same! Enjoyed helping out with iwp92020, happy to help further.

--
Have a good day,

Marshall Conover

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-02-10 17:09         ` Joseph Stewart
From: Joseph Stewart @ 2021-02-10 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I would also like to support, so keep me posted on opportunities to support
and join the foundation. Cheers y’all!

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 8:19 AM Marshall Conover <marzhall.o@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Same! Enjoyed helping out with iwp92020, happy to help further.
>
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 11:07 AM Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
>
>> > How do we get involved in or become a member of the foundation?
>>
>> I too am interested in supporting plan9 in any form I can.
>>
>> -Steve
>

> --
> Have a good day,
>
> Marshall Conover
> *9fans <https://9fans.topicbox.com/latest>* / 9fans / see discussions
> <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans> + participants
> <https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/members> + delivery options

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Foundation
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-02-10 17:17 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2021-02-10 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Feb 09, 2021 at 11:40:18PM -0800, Anthony Sorace wrote:

> More information can be found on our web site, http://p9f.org/.

"That effort stalled, mainly due to the treatment of software-focused
non-profit organizations under U.S. regulations at the time."

What does this mean?

khm

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-02-10 17:33   ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2021-02-10 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The focus at that time (2009) was on getting a 501(c)3 org to accept the GSoC money after we were accepted that year. I talked to some folks doing similar things in other orgs and was advised that the IRS had stalled granting that to new software-focused non-profits. Since that main driver evaporated, we didn’t push in with the formation. The IRS has figured it out since 2009. :-)

> On Feb 10, 2021, at 09:19, Kurt H Maier <khm@sciops.net> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Feb 09, 2021 at 11:40:18PM -0800, Anthony Sorace wrote:
>>
>> More information can be found on our web site, http://p9f.org/.
>>

> "That effort stalled, mainly due to the treatment of software-focused
> non-profit organizations under U.S. regulations at the time."
>
> What does this mean?
>
> khm

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-02-10 18:23     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2021-02-10 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you got other money sources lined up apart from gsoc?

i don't know if this might open up some new avenues for those of us
who have programming dayjobs but would rather quit those and make
something more meaningful that isn't profit-driven and part of the
usual IT industry.

or what's the idea behind this foundation, the opportunity this might create?

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-02-10 18:32       ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2021-02-10 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We’re starting off with the prior years’ GSoC money. We haven’t yet pursued other funding avenues since there’s still a bunch of legal/tax things we have to finish first.

@ 2021-02-10 18:33   ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2021-02-10 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 2/10/21 12:17 PM, Kurt H Maier wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 09, 2021 at 11:40:18PM -0800, Anthony Sorace wrote:
>> More information can be found on our web site, http://p9f.org/.
>>
> "That effort stalled, mainly due to the treatment of software-focused
> non-profit organizations under U.S. regulations at the time."
>
> What does this mean?

Let me guess.

In their ongoing effort to starve open source projects of resources,
proprietary software vendors lobbied Congress to add special
requirements for software projects filing IRS Form 1023?

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-02-10 18:39     ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2021-02-10 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It did not seem to be anything so nefarious. The IRS was not publicly stating their reasons and I don’t want to speculate about them too much, but it seemed to just be a pause while they figured out how to differentiate legitimate organizations from scam ones.

@ 2021-02-10 20:36     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2021-02-10 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It is probably fair to say it's harder than setting up an organized
church[*] or a Super PAC[**]

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_Perpetual_Exemption
** https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colbert_Super_PAC

P.S. For those not familiar with US tax code, politics, or comedy shows: a
Venn diagram intersecting all three would have at least the above two
examples.

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 10:35 AM Wes Kussmaul <wes@reliableid.com> wrote:

> On 2/10/21 12:17 PM, Kurt H Maier wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 09, 2021 at 11:40:18PM -0800, Anthony Sorace wrote:
> >> More information can be found on our web site, http://p9f.org/.
> >>
> > "That effort stalled, mainly due to the treatment of software-focused
> > non-profit organizations under U.S. regulations at the time."
> >
> > What does this mean?
> >

> Let me guess.
>
> In their ongoing effort to starve open source projects of resources,
> proprietary software vendors lobbied Congress to add special
> requirements for software projects filing IRS Form 1023?

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Foundation
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-02-10 20:57 ` Kim Shrier
From: Kim Shrier @ 2021-02-10 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Great news.

As soon as you work out the details, please announce on this list.
I would like to become a member and donate $ as well.

Kim

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Foundation
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-02-10 21:12 ` pouya+lists.9fans
From: pouya+lists.9fans @ 2021-02-10 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> We are pleased to announce the creation of the Plan 9 Foundation.

This is excellent news.  I am especially excited to see some familiar
names in the signature (the familiarity is one-directional, partly
from when I was lurking around Plan 9 lists back in the 2000s).

Would be keen to learn how to support your work.

Pouya

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-02-10 21:12   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2021-02-10 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

in my legislation churches devoted to glenda worshipping are considered sects.
it would be great to be able and register in a country where this is
possibly a church instead.

I found another place where this is discussed
https://old.reddit.com/r/plan9/comments/lgoz01/plan_9_foundation/

i approve of this displayed intent to unite the factions and bring
plan9 forward, but I fear it will be very hard to track so many media
for anybody involved in any of the "factions".

some may have no hackernews account, some may have no reddit account,
some may have no github account, and all this to me combined comes
technically in the way of seamless communication. not a unique thing
to this community, but nonetheless a regretful problem.

maybe at a certain size fragmentation is even necessary.
perhaps it is after all a sign of plan9's success that this seemingly
conflictual topic is coming up now.

in the meantime, everybody keep on booting their plan9 for it's own
sake, please :)